unsupported characters

DOSforever

I have recently encountered a problem where ImgBurn 2.5.5.0 does not write characters properly to a dual layer DVD using the UDF file system. I use the UDF file system because the files I am burning have very long file names. I have tried using ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF but this did not help. One of the problems is with a non-standard double dash. I call this a non-standard character because there is no gap between the two dashes. Windows Explorer copies this character correctly as does CopySyncDesktop so even though this is not a common character, these two programs recognize it and copy it correctly. ImBurn 2.5.5.0 replaces this character with either a square box or with a thin vertical rectangle. The other problem is with the ' character that occurs in many Irish names such as O'Connell. ImgBurn 2.5.5.0 replaces this character with a thin vertical rectangle. Do I have an incorrect setting in the ImgBurn configuration or does ImgBurn not support all of the characters in the Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 character set ?

I think you probably solved my problem, I did have Unicode disabled because I did not realize that it was needed. I will enable Unicode and burn another DVD and let you know is this solves my problem.

Good news and bad news. The good news is that one of the DVDs I was having problems with now burns perfectly with Unicoode enabled. The bad news is that another DVD that had the same problem now longer has that problem when I burn it with Unicode enabled, however it now has a new problem that did not occur when Unicode was disabled. The new problem is that even though the files names appear to be correct, when I perform a "Hash Check" using uTorrent, there are two djvu files that uTorrent claims have zero file size. Windows Explorer tells me that these two files have the correct file size and I can open them and view the entire contents of both files with a djvu viewer. I pruned that 5.21 GB torrent down to 24.5 MB and wrote it twice to a CD-RW disc, once with Unicode enabled and once with Unicode disabled. When Unicode is disabled, these two files pass the uTorrent "Hash Check" and when Unicode is enabled they do not pass the "Hash Check". If you can pull another rabbit out of the hat I will try any ImgBurn configuration changes you might suggest. If nothing appears obvious to you then I will probably have to look for another burning program to deal with this torrent as I suspect that you will not want to pursue a solution considering that it will involve doing "Hash Checks" using uTorrent.

Edited by DOSforever

Show me a log of you building an image with files containing those characters please.

It might also help if you could zip/rar up a couple of files (empty text files will do) using those characters so I make sure I test with the right ones.

If Unicode hasn't been disabled, UDF really shouldn't be having a problem with those characters though.

Try some other torrent client that supports Unicode (Tixati for example). There is a bug for Unicode handling in the 'Play' feature of uT 3 (wrong conversion from Unicode to multibyte) and it's possible the hash check function has the same problem and can't read the files because of this. If the other torrent client works, report it as a bug in uTorrent forum.

• 1 month later...

Hi khagaroth, Sorry for the late reply but I just noticed your post. I will give Tixati a trial run, I would like to try some new Bittorrent clients because I do not like the changes uTorrent has make to the User Interface and some of the function changes they have make (I'm still using version 1.8.5). However, I am not sure that a better bittorrent client will solve the problem I am having. uTorrent was able to do a hash check on the original set of files that I used to burn the DVD. If uTorrent cannot do a hash check on the DVD files or on files copied back to a hard drive then this means that the bits are not identical to the files in the torrent that I downloaded and if I try to seed the torrent from the burned DVD I will not be uploading the exact contents of the files in the original torrent. Is this statement right or wrong ?

Edited by DOSforever

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.