Won't create ISO

Ted.

XPHome

Hi, All,

I have just installed ImgBurn and like it very much, however it refuses to create an ISO from any of my Sony DVD-R discs. I just get a message saying it will only create a .bin file because the disc contains multiple tracks. I have been using BurnAware Free and it creates an ISO file from any of these discs without a hitch. What am I doing wrong?

You're getting a BIN file because you have a multisession DVD. An ISO cannot represent that type of content, it's only for basic layouts (single session, single track).

If you actually try and do anything with the ISO from that other program, you'll notice it doesn't contain anything other than the 1st session... so files in later sessions simply won't exist/be accessible.

What you've done there by using Build mode is indeed the best way of dealing with such discs. It'll create you a nice new clean (single session/track) image with all the files in it that you'd expect to be there (based on the data from the last session on the disc - as Windows sees it).

Yes, it's fine when Build mode makes an ISO from a multisession/track disc because it will have built a totally new image based on the files the disc contains (through the eyes of OS).

Read mode doesn't work at file level, it works at sector level and would try to create an exact image based on the physical layout of the disc.

It knows the disc contains multiple sessions/tracks and that such discs cannot be stored in an ISO file.

Even though it changes the file extension to BIN, even that is useless. No multisession/track info is recorded (saved) anywhere for DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray media (it should probably be in the MDS file but it isn't) and so the BIN file is also useless as no program would ever see anything beyond the first session/track.

So where I said using Build mode is the best way of dealing with those discs, it's actually the ONLY way!

The next version of ImgBurn will block Read mode from making images of such discs and suggest that Build mode should be used instead.

For multisession CDs or single session DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray, Read mode is still the best way of making an image - assuming there no reason to rebuild the file system using Build mode (for moving the layer break etc).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.