Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error

DeathStalker

Hi Lightning UK!

First off, I'd like to thank you for the BEST burning program around!

I have a small "favor" to ask. I have been having trouble with a couple of specific Manufacturer IDs on some discs (MBIPG101-R10-65 & MKM-001-00) which result in about a 90% failure rate even when burning at 4x (2.4x in the case of the MKMs - both dual layer). I have spoken with the COO of the media distributor who has assured me the problem lies not with the quality of the discs, but with the burner's firmware not including the proper write strategies for them to burn properly. I have contacted the burned manufacturer to inform them of this situation, and they are forwarding it to their department that handles the firmware updates. The failure code I get with ImgBurn is (the well documented) "Failed to Read Sector XXXXXXX - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error"

The favor would simply be a detailed response on what that error indicates and why it is occurring only with these MIDs (the discs burn just fine on a couple other burners and other MIDs burn just fine on this one), and this is the same media (and MBI code) sold under half a dozen major band names. I would like to be able to forward your response to the burner manufacturer as supporting documentation that a firmware update is in order.

Thank you SO much for your assistance! :)

==============================

***Hey Lightning UK! As you can see by my latest post below, a response is no longer necessary - the cause of the error IS clear; missing MID in the firmware of all 3 drives.

Edited by DeathStalker

The MBIPG101-R10-65 Mid is a bit new and not all burner likes them, so they can be tricky. But if you burner struggles with true Verbatim discs, I would replace it. The cost of constant coaster should be quickly earned by a working burner.

So how can I find a burner that likes them? Doesn't seem to be a lot of info on them available. They're Kodak branded, and Kodak has been *exceptionally* supportive in my efforts to get successful burns (they've replaced a couple batches of them for me) - I've also contacted Asus regarding their firmware and writing strategies for the drive.

I believe the HP 1270i (which is *apparently* a LiteOn-based drive, but I don't know the specifics) handles them ok, so I'm also trying tofind out of I can crossflash the drive to the 1270i (NOT the d or the r!), but I've been unable to find any firmware for the 1270i (might have to break down and buy one from BB to copy the firmware from it). If I do "rent" one from BB ;) is there a way to tell what it's based on without opening it up?

Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.