.ISZ support?

dbminter

UltraISO has something called an .ISZ type, apparently an extension on .ISO that allows compression and splitting of an archive. Is this a file format that ImgBurn can be made to/should support? Or is it proprietary in some way/requires licensing?

Actually, all kidding aside, do you recommend a similar application? I've only been using it because, thus far, it was the only one I tested that let me inject files into a bootable disc image that STILL left the image bootable when it was done. I find this .ISZ thing to be as blunt as a spoon, e.g. no one else seems to support it. Haven't tried PowerISO, I don't think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Latest Daemon Tools PRO and Alcohol already support .isz

It looks like that isz becomes common :)

I've found this format very useful, because it shrinks 300+ gigabytes of my ps2 isos to 100 gigs!

Now I'm looking for the fast way to burn them.

p.s. Sorry for my English, I'm Russian :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Not sure if I could support it, but even if I could, I wouldn't!

This is probably a moot point since you said you have no plans to support it but I am sure you could support it as the specification is published:

ISZ File Format Specification

I'm sorry for bumping an old thread, but I decided to reply here instead of creating a new thread.

So, since DT and Alcohol support ISZ and specification is public, are there any chances for adding ISZ support ? I'm interested in burning ISZ files only (not converting, creating, editing etc.).

I have almost all CD/DVD images in ISZ and currently I need to: use Ultraiso for burning or use it to convert ISZ>ISO and then burn with Imgburn.

I'm sorry for bumping an old thread, but I decided to reply here instead of creating a new thread.

So, since DT and Alcohol support ISZ and specification is public, are there any chances for adding ISZ support ? I'm interested in burning ISZ files only (not converting, creating, editing etc.).

I have almost all CD/DVD images in ISZ and currently I need to: use Ultraiso for burning or use it to convert ISZ>ISO and then burn with Imgburn.

I fail to see the point. If almost all your images are ISZ, then it's either of the following cases:

1) your "collection" of images is rather consistent - you don't create new images and you don't delete images;

or

2) you keep creating new images with UltraISO and maybe some of them deleting as well.

In the first scenario just convert all your ISZ to ISO (or whatever) and be done with it once and for all.

In the second scenario... well, you are already using UltraISO as your primary image creation software. Why not keep using it for burning as well. Why need to switch to ImgBurn, especially if you already paid money for UltraISO?

Edited by Night_Raven

I fail to see the point. If almost all your images are ISZ, then it's either of the following cases:

1) your "collection" of images is rather consistent - you don't create new images and you don't delete images;

or

2) you keep creating new images with UltraISO and maybe some of them deleting as well.

In the first scenario just convert all your ISZ to ISO (or whatever) and be done with it once and for all.

In the second scenario... well, you are already using UltraISO as your primary image creation software. Why not keep using it for burning as well. Why need to switch to ImgBurn, especially if you already paid money for UltraISO?

I don't trust burning support in Ultraiso. I had issues with verification (does not work at all in all versions). Also I don't want to convert ISO->ISZ because ISZ is smaller.

Also, guys, lets not talk about creation time of this thread, but about meritum - do devs plan to add ISZ support?

If you wanna keep your ISZ - extract the files from the ISZ to a folder on your harddrive with whatever can extract them and use build mode. After burning, delete the folder.

Regards

In my opinion ISZ is the best compressed ISO format! It's specs are totally open, it uses open-source ZLIB or BZ2 compression, and is optimized for random sector access, which is great for virtual drives.

ImgBurn, as the best image burner on planet, must support this format!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.