Make IMGBurn use the selected speed

a7mag3ddon

The answer is simple, i prefer to burn all media at slower speeds i feel you get a much better finished product with less errors on them. Are you 100% sure that the speed is determined and forced by the firmware? Im sure cdrwin/ nero used to but at the speeds i requested or at least it never reported that it hadnt got the speed i had request.

Yes I'm 100% sure.

ImgBurn does actually tell the drive to write at whatever speed you tell it to. There's no artifical limitation in that respect.

ImgBurn doesn't really limit you for anything, the drive controls what can and can't be done.

It's down to the drive to actually use the speed ImgBurn asked for. You'll know when it doesn't because ImgBurn asks the drive what the current write speed is set to and will warn you (via the log window) when it reports it's using a different speed to the one you asked for.

Ok after i did some digging here is a way you can force a burn speed in IMGBurn (or any other burning program), its not really forcing a burn speed it is patching your firmware with a burnspeed you watch to acheive for the media.

1. Open Latest version of mediacodespeededit (1.2.0.10).

2. Load the Max Burner firmware or other firmware you wish to patch

3. In the list find the correct media id of the disk you want to change burn speed for and double click it.

4. Now in the pop up list choose a write strategy that closely matches your media and also has the write speed you want to try... For example replace 8x richoh with 2.4x richoh).

Wait for the list to update, you should now see the write speed you desired alongside the disk id you want to burn. Click save, the file will automatically name itself xxxx.speedpatched.bin.

5. Fire up codeguys flasher util and choose your liteon drive - I check the update boot code box (this may not be needed).

6. Click on write and navigate to your patched firmware, ignore all warnings and let it write.

7. On completion of flash press exit and TURN OFF computer.

8. Wait at least 5 seconds then restart computer, your media should now work at the speed you requested.

Thanks for advice LightningUK it lead me to this workaround once i knew what to look for !!

I have tested this myself and it does work.

Edited by a7mag3ddon

That's old news but I'm glad it's got you sorted out. :)

Do note that the strategy you've substituted in might not be the optimal one for your media.

Even if it opens up 2.4x on media that previously only allowed 4x, 6x and 8x, it still doesn't mean it'll produce a better quality burn.

4x with the right strategy could be better than 2.4x with the wrong one.

Depends what you mean by better burn, 100% burn with no verification errors on imgburn and kprobe2 is better than burning at 4x and having lots of read errors, and even burn fails.

Tested with several arita disks now and all 100% and its not just with certain console ISO's either, i have made iso of music and xvids for testing purposes as well.

The problenm i had was that Arita saw fit to use 2 different DYE types in their same branded packs (you cant tell the die untill you open the pack). RITEK D01 worked flawless every disk with no errors, then they changed dyes randomly which forced me to burn at 4x this then caused read errors and failures. now both disk dyes are working :-)

Thanks Again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.