Pretty bad burn and layerbreak Spikes

DrunkenNinja

Ok these are the settings I am using for these burns, the drive is a iHas624 with "patched" firmware enabling overburn courtesy of c4e.

Imgburn:

OPC ON

Calculate Optimal Layer Break

Burnt at x4

EEPROM

Smart Burn ON

Force Hyper Tuning ON

Online Hyper Tuning ON

OPC ON

OS Win 7 x64

Discs> Singapore Printable Verbs (The Best) MKM003

Both discs are quite out of touch, I have read that clearing the OPC in EEPROM before every burn can assist in avoiding the huge spike at the layerbreak, it's interesting that the results are so different for the two programs (Although both are bad).

I read that the drive records 8 writes for each media in smart write mode then chosses the best out of the 8, Should I keep burning with the same settings and hope that the drive realises it's self how to write properly or should I mess with the settings till I get the results needed.

I remember reading that MCSE (What is this program?) could be used to rename the MKM-0a3-00 back to MKM-003-00, resetting the burn strategy, Is this something I should do? Will it still work with the overburn? If so how do I do it?

Any asistance is much appreciated.

DISC (ONE)

Disc 1 Nero Speed Info:

General Information

Drive: ATAPI iHAS624 B

Firmware: GL29

Disc: DVD+R DL (n/a)

Selected speed: Maximum

PI Errors

Maximum: 1269

Average: 2.27

Total: 75807

PI failures

Maximum: 218

Average: 0.02

Total: 6198

PO failures: -

Jitter: -

Scanning Statistics

Elapsed time: 18:37

Number of samples: 249372

Average scanning interval: 1.07 ECC

Glitches removed: 20

NERO_1.png

SAME DISC KPROBE 2 RESULT

KPROBE_1.png

DISC (TWO)

Disc 2 Nero Speed Info:

General Information

Drive: ATAPI iHAS624 B

Firmware: GL29

Disc: DVD+R DL (n/a)

Selected speed: Maximum

PI Errors

Maximum: 245

Average: 1.34

Total: 44733

PI failures

Maximum: 22

Average: 0.01

Total: 3815

PO failures: -

Jitter: -

Scanning Statistics

Elapsed time: 18:37

Number of samples: 249234

Average scanning interval: 1.07 ECC

Glitches removed: 0

NERO_2.png

SAME DISC KPROBE 2 RESULT

KPROBE_2.png

Edited by DrunkenNinja

Scan at 4x, not max speed. Max speed is 16x on a 624, for the other drives (well, my 124 anyway) it's only 12x.

If you take a look at post 19 in this thread you'll see my tests on a pack of Verbatim 8x Printable discs.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=18871&view=findpost&p=136510

The drive is way too inconsistent with some of the options set and basically it took me 7 discs to find some settings where the burn quality stopped changing as frequently as the direction of the wind.

My '8th Attempt' is the important one. It's the first one in a line of 5 burns that all came out just fine. Before that I'd only ever get 1 or 2 in a row - and even then it was easy to see things were progressivly getting worse.

My 624 (with normal firmware on it and default ImgBurn/eeprom settings) will burn discs from this same spindle perfectly every time (with no real difference in PI/PO scans) so I knew it had to be an issue with some 'learning' capability enabled in the 124... so that's why I decided to turn everything off that I could do.

For me, MKM-003-00 @ 4x with OPC off, FHT on, OHT off, OS off and SB on seem to work just fine. (see attempts 8 - 12)

That was a very interesting read Lightning, It looks like you got some stability in the end with a lot of effort!!!

Can you tell me more about renaming the the MKM-0a3-00 in the table? Can it be changed back to MKM-003-00 using MCSE easily and if so would it even be compatible with the patched overburn firmware, Is the MKM003 write strategy even compatible with the patched firmware given the increased capacity?.

You mentioned that as MKM-0a3-00 is classified as an unknown media so HT and OHT settings is automatically enabled, is this overridden by instructions given in EEPROM? (Basically can they be disabled manually)

Edited by DrunkenNinja

I haven't done any renaming in the fw I was using for those tests. It's the original version of the c4e firmware.

The drive will see the media is MKM-003-00, look it up in the table and see that it's not there (because it's been renamed) and then class it as 'unknown' media.

That's when HT and OHT are enabled by default. (this is with FHT, OHT, OS off and SB on in the eeprom - i.e. default settings)

When HT and OHT are enabled due to there being no write strategy for the loaded media, enabling FHT in the eeprom has the effect of disabling OHT.

AFAIK, yes, that's how it works.

Allow me to quote my 'source' for this knowledge...

http://club.myce.com/f44/liteon-dh20a3-test-firmware-results-discussion-227621/index2.html#post1883177

http://club.myce.com/f44/liteon-dh20a3-test-firmware-results-discussion-227621/index2.html#post1883132

Both posts were made by a Lite-On employee (forum name 'Wind').

My pocket always feels better after speaking with you, Your Money Lightning!!!! :)

I only had Two discs left but I knew, after your advise they would come good.

A Couple of post, burn questions for you.

Do I need to clear the OPC before every burn?

Can I use the same settings for regular burns and expect similar quality?

Cheers,

Oh almost forgot heres the Scan!!!

post-41087-0-16041100-1320429335.png

After clearing OPC the first time with those settings (attempt 8?), I haven't done it again since.

Having to clear it every time in order to get a decent burn is just ridiculous... that's why I wasted most of my 25 pack finding a way to avoid it. :)

Now that you've enabled FHT in the eeprom, it's on for all media. I've only used the drive/these settings for Verbatim MKM-003-00 so I've no idea how it/they perform with other discs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.