DL DVD plays on computer, but not on dvd player - any ideas?

THEO

Hello.

I followed your guide for how to burn DL dvds using imgburn.

The dvds burn without errors and play fine on my computer, but when I put them in my dvd player they get an error signal.

my dvd player plays dl dvds produced professionally, and it will play single layer dvds I burn on my computer. but it will not play DL dvds burned on my computer.

I am using verbatim dvd+r dl media and a sony dru-700A DVD/CD rewritable drive.

any ideas about what is going wrong?

thanks

It could just be a simple 'bitsetting' problem.

Is your drive performing bitsetting on the DVD+R DL media to make it look like DVDROM? You can check it (or let us do it) but putting a burnt disc in the drive and copying + pasting all the text from the info panel on the right.

What speed are you burning the DVD+R DL at?

Sorry davidw89, you're not going to change my mind! The answer remains at 'No'.

The 'smart' thing would be for LG to make the bitsetting stuff persistent between reboots/power cycles in the same was all the other manufacturers do.

Well you gotta admit its not a bad idea :lol:

david

Can I pose the question that if he thought it was a good idea, he'd implement it?

Therefore, logic dictates that he thinks it's either a shithouse idea, a crummy idea, an indifferent idea but not a good one!

Regards

I'd buy a Pioneer. It does the bitsetting automagically.

Last time I checked, Pioneer couldn't bit-set DVD+R or DVD+RW single layer.

I don't see why DVD makers don't get with the program. All drives should do

bit-setting all the time. Anything less is just lame. Why would someone make

(or buy) a drive that can't do bit-setting (Pioneer), or that will forget to do it

after every reboot (LG)? NEC and BenQ do not have this annoying behavior,

so they will continue to get my business. Any drive that doesn't support full

bit-setting with official firmware is less than worthless.

Can I pose the question that if he thought it was a good idea, he'd implement it?

Therefore, logic dictates that he thinks it's either a shithouse idea, a crummy idea, an indifferent idea but not a good one!

Whether it's a good idea or not is decided by the user base. The program

warns you about other things, like when you try to burn a DVD video with

the wrong settings. Why not warn you if the drive is not set for DVD-ROM

book type? He doesn't have to do the work of fixing the settings, but just

a warning in the log, or a pop-up telling you it's best to use the DVD-ROM

book type. Afterall, LUK has frequently told people to use DVD-ROM book

type when they were experiencing problems. If the program told them, it

would save some time in answering support questions.

Whether it's a good idea or not is decided by the user base.

I really have to disagree with that statement. It might be true if users were paying for the program and customer service support. However, since this is freeware/donationware it is up to the programmer what his program will and will not do or display. No one here forces anyone to use the program, and if users do not like the answer they get from the Boss they are free to use any other program out there. I would also suggest that more respect be paid to answers that are received to requests and less complaining / justifying / whining when the answer isn't to the users liking would be in order here.

Spinner

Whether it's a good idea or not is decided by the user base.

I really have to disagree with that statement. It might be true if users were paying for the program and customer service support. However, since this is freeware/donationware it is up to the programmer what his program will and will not do or display.

And it's up to the users whether certain suggestions are good ideas or whether

certain aspects of the program are good. They are entitled to their opinions,

and LUK is entitled to his. Just because he gets the final word doesn't mean he

is right and everyone else is wrong. He is right for himself. He is wrong if you

disagree with him. There's nothing disrespectful about saying that.

No one here forces anyone to use the program, and if users do not like the answer they get from the Boss they are free to use any other program out there.
While we're on the topic of what no one is forced to do, no one is forcing LUK

to develop the program all by himself. I'm sure there would be thousands of

talented programmers willing to help if he would open-source the project. In

fact, I'll go farther and state that certain "problems" which dominate thinking

here would not exist if the previous incarnation of ImgBurn had been "open."

That is not a complaint, merely a statement of fact/regret.

I would also suggest that more respect be paid to answers that are received to requests and less complaining / justifying / whining when the answer isn't to the users liking would be in order here.

I have no stake in this issue, since my burners all support full bit-setting on

+R and +RW media. I have never had a compatibility problem. Nor am I in

need of "justifying" anything or "whining" about anything. You seem to have

a problem with anyone disagreeing to The Boss. So does blutach. It makes

me sad to see this self-abnegation and denial of everyone else's views. The

Boss can do what he wants. The fact that these threads get LOTS of interest

(page views) should say something. But apparently, it doesn't. Alas.

don't you think that if LUK wanted to open source the project he would have done so already FWIW the open source is never going to happen , its a program developed by LUK in its entirety and as such his to do with as he sees fit ,as for the thread generating intrest its more of a what now intrest. The comparisons to NERO get old, its not Nero and if it was a clone then why bother writing it .Its a great burning software ,its free ,gets great support . What is it you're looking for anyway to re write the software to your specs or impliment all the changes that might be benificial to you ,you're starting to alienate a lot of people at a rate I've never seen on this forum or the old one either for that matter and in my opinion thats not a good thing

you're starting to alienate a lot of people at a rate I've never seen on this forum or the old one either for that matter and in my opinion thats not a good thing

Oh I dunno, I remember calweycn being despised equally as much on the old forum. Thankfully he got the message on that one, went away and never came back.

I used to cringe every time he emailed 'support'. Seems he's stopped doing that now and instead just comes on here to wind everyone up. I think I preferred it when it was just me that he pissed off.

I do not wish push any brand preference here but I do believe that everyone should just dump all their dvd writers and get with a plextor and kiss all their writer related burning problems goodbye

plex is good but by no means the only one, the NECs are great, also Pioneer ,BenQ and a couple of others

using good media is the key here I believe namely Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden even the best writers aren't going to give great results to crap media

My LGs are yet to give a bad burn. I'm sticking with them, despite no statistics (makes for less work in testing, anyway :D)

Regards

I have Plex as well as LG. LG burns a bit quicker but plex burns perfect. The Autostrategy function is an amazing piece of functionality. I may be wrong but dont know of any other writer with this essential feature. Calibrates itself for any disc out there whose write strategy may not be catered for in the firmware.

Regard

Well you gotta admit its not a bad idea :lol:

It's a inconvenient idea. Drive manufacturers should have all their bitsetting stuff configured ready for the consumer to use. How would you like it if you had to set your RGB everytime you turned on your TV? Software shouldn't have to ask you how would you like your bitsetting everytime you burn, thats just damn annoying. I own many Plextors and recently adopted BenQ, both are great drives and supported under ImgBurn.

Plextor recently started shaping up with their 755 & 760 series (their 712 series was a disaster) and BenQ has been a very solid all around drive. If you looking for a new burner get the BenQ, it's around $42 w/ shipping

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.