Cigarettes, spiders and RPJ TV's oh my!

Grain

Was watching the CRT rear projection HDTV on the weekend with the little lady, when a spider decided to drop down on a thread in front (I thought) of the TV. I got up to swat it, but as I got closer I got a sinking feeling in my gut as I found out the bastard was IN the TV! What we were seeing was his shadow off the mirror inside. I felt like puking. So in a moment of spontanous insanity, I grabbed a phillips screwdriver and started taking apart my Sony 53" TV. 60 screws later I had the back loose and realized that I didn't need to take but 9 out to accomplish what I wanted to do, and was likely never going to have a proper picture again if I proceded with total dismantaling. After reinstalling the 51 screws, I peered in with my maglight and no spider to be seen, but lots of dust. So I set out vacuuming and dusting the guts, including the 3 CRT guns which had a fair amount of dust on them. The spider thing had happened once before 2 years ago, but that bastard had skimmed on by all the way down, never to be seen again. That one however left something permanent on the inside of the screen overnight, as the next morning there was a black spot on the screen that never left. I wasn't positive if it was a bit of a 'dead pixel' equivilent on a CRT, or just spider schmag, until last weekend. Peering in I noticed that it was indeed a tiny bit of schmag on the screen, and so I dabbed a bit of windex on a linen rag and stretching inside & wiped it off. I then reassembled, plugged in and tested. HUGE improvement in pic quality as a result of the dust removal from the CRT guns. Threw in my homemade HT demo DVD, and during a scene from LOTR Return of the King, the battle with the oliphants, I noticed that there was a small spot on the screen where it was slightly whiter, where I'd cleaned the inside of the screen! I swore long and loud. Out came the phillips, and I set about cleaning with windex the entire inside of the TV screen. The rag came out yellow with cig smoke after about an hour of cleaning with the rag on a stick so I could reach the whole screen. Reassemble and re-view, beautiful! like a new TV, great colours, and a lot sharper image.

Moral of the story, if you smoke or see spider's you can't touch while watching TV, you've got a big job ahead of you someday. Stop smoking you say, bollocks to that! :D

Grain, I have the 62" Sony XBR HD TV. If you remove the rear panel completely, carefully tilting it away from the TV, the mirror is attached to it on the inside. Just lay it down and clean the mirror using lens cleaner. Doing this also allows you access to the color guns which you can clean in the same fashion. Makes the world of difference after a few years of use. :thumbup: After cleaning just carefully replace back and screw back on to TV frame and all is well.

The Itzzy Bitzzy Spider Creeped Down the TV Screen

When Grain Looked at That Thing He Began to Scream

So Grain Removed the Screws to Try to Clean the Spot

While Cleaning it a Second Time He Cursed That Bug a Lot

A Lot of Pain to Grain 'twas Caused Because of Spider Creep

It Could Have been Avoided (According to volvofl10) if Grain Had Not Been Cheap

Edited by Movie Junkie

I have a similar story. Over 5 years ago, I had a VCR where a spider crawled between the covering over the LED section depicting the clock. Of course, it couldn't get out and died in there. So, the clock was forever obscured. There was no sensible way to get the cover off. And, since the remote control sensor was also conveniently placed under the same cover, it would be obvious if I forced the cover off, the remote control would stop working. :rolleyes:

Also, the biggest scare I ever got in my life. When I learned spiders had 8 eyes. :lol: Around 1985, a Transformer called Perceptor was released. He was billed as a "real working microsope" although his lenses were closer to just magnifying glass level. One day, I found a dead spider on the floor and decided to give it a close up look under Perceptor. I slid the thing around and got THE shock of my life up to that point! :& 8 goddamn eyes! :o So, I looked up spiders in a book from the public library after that and discovered, yeah, they do. :D

Moral of the story, if you smoke or see spider's you can't touch while watching TV, you've got a big job ahead of you someday. Stop smoking you say, bollocks to that! :D

Well, maybe it depends on WHAT you're smoking :hippy: that makes you see spiders you can't touch because they aren't there. :wink:

I have a similar story. Over 5 years ago, I had a VCR where a spider crawled between the covering over the LED section depicting the clock. Of course, it couldn't get out and died in there. So, the clock was forever obscured. There was no sensible way to get the cover off. And, since the remote control sensor was also conveniently placed under the same cover, it would be obvious if I forced the cover off, the remote control would stop working. :rolleyes:

Also, the biggest scare I ever got in my life. When I learned spiders had 8 eyes. :lol: Around 1985, a Transformer called Perceptor was released. He was billed as a "real working microsope" although his lenses were closer to just magnifying glass level. One day, I found a dead spider on the floor and decided to give it a close up look under Perceptor. I slid the thing around and got THE shock of my life up to that point! :& 8 goddamn eyes! :o So, I looked up spiders in a book from the public library after that and discovered, yeah, they do. :D

I thought spiders had 10 eyes? Now I'm going to have to look it up. :)

I thought spiders had 10 eyes? Now I'm going to have to look it up. :)

Well, ya kind of caught me in a faux pas. I forgot that sometimes spider do have less than 8 eyes. They have anywhere between 2 to 4 pairs. I suppose any cave spiders might even have no eyes, like those kind of fish that live specifically in bodies of water where no light gets in. Such as caves. But, none have more than 8. ;)

Its a self portrait Defen.......................... :unsure::lol:
Ok Kev. Now that you've revealed that information I will reveal your secret. You are the one on top in the following picture:

abu20musab20alzarqawiuk3.jpg

To go further Kev, here is what you look like eating:

dating9zb.jpg

I'm really sorry that I had to do that Kev but by revealing what I look like, I just had to do the same for you. Please don't force me to show the nasty pictures of you. :thumbup::whistling::D:D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.