Imgburn killed the Autoplay menu

The Horrendous

Greetings and stupefactions:

While it perhaps not a colossal issue of frightening proportions, sit down while I tell you a tale. I upgraded from 2.5.5.0 to 2.5.6.0. I uninstalled the older using Revo Unintaller on safe mode and then swept for registry leftovers with Ccleaner. Rebooted and installed the newer. Immediately I lost the use of my autoplay menu. I stuck in a CD, it would go straight to the root menu of the disk inside of playing in Winamp. I stuck in a DVD, same thing happened it went to the root menu of the disk (displaying the files, in some cases this was blank because they where protected) instead of playing in Zoom. Even when I went in to the Autoplay menu via windows explorer and changed the autoplay options (i.e. playing a DVD with AVS DVD player instead of Zoom), those options also did not work. Even when I changed the autoplay options not do anything, the autoplay still defaulted back to displaying the root contents of any disk I place in the optical drive ( and before some smurf suggests that my drive maybe buggered…not before this started it wasn’t). So like I said before, no big deal.

So I left the newer version on (of course not knowing it was the problem) and proceeded to do some research on the net. Various people also had this problem of their autoplay menu ceasing to function and in some cases disappearing altogether. So I tried some suggests to fix the autoplay problem, like download the UITweak for XP and one other I can’t recall. I also tried a number of registry tweak suggests as well. Long story short, after a thousand and one restore points later, none of these fixes worked and I still had no autoplay menu.

So I thought before doing anything else and trying the option of last resort, a rollback to a restore point I would watch a DVD (Paul). My optical drive went nuts, for the course of the whole movie it kept spinning up really quickly and stopping and then about 30 minutes towards the end, the drive just kept spinning at speed. When the movie finally finished and I took the disk out, it was unusually hot. I immediately moved to do a restore which removed the newer version installed. Not knowing that the newer version was the issue, I moved to reinstall it and thereby a process of elimination, discovering that IMGburn killed the Autoplay menu.

I then did one final roll back to the restore point mentioned and I have stuck with 2.5.5.0 since (although if I watch a DVD directly they still come out hot).

This all required a drink to claim my disposition....

ImgBurn didn't kill anything and its own uninstaller works perfectly fine. I know exactly what I add to the registry and I know exactly what I take away again. None of it would do anything to kill your autoplay stuff or anything else you've described.

btw, you don't appear to have even mentioned which OS you're running.

Assuming it's Windows XP (because you mention TweakUI for XP), I'm going to guess you may have enabled the 'Enable SPTI access for all users' option in the installer.

What that option does is manipulate a Windows registry key - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957388.aspx

It it nothing to do with ImgBurn but provides a workaround to Windows blocking SPTI access for 'normal' users - where ImgBurn (or any other program using SPTI) wouldn't then be able to detect any drives (Windows returns 'Access Denied').

As with most things, there are side effects and I guess one of them is how Windows then deals with discs being inserted in drives. (I wasn't aware of the issue until just now as I don't require that option to be enabled)

This is 100% a Windows issue. If you want to mention it to someone, mention it to Microsoft. Of course XP is old now so there's 0% chance of them doing anything about it.

The problem is actually detailed here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135

Greetings,

You’re a bit of an angry person, aren’t you?

ImgBurn didn't kill anything and its own uninstaller works perfectly fine. I know exactly what I add to the registry and I know exactly what I take away again.

I didn’t say the newer version of your program or its uninstaller did not work. In fact it worked as it should after it was installed, I simply reported that when I installed your program, the autoplay function of XP to cease.

….btw, you don't appear to have even mentioned which OS you're running. Assuming it's Windows XP (because you mention TweakUI for XP),…

I can see why you’re the smart one….

I'm going to guess you may have enabled the 'Enable SPTI access for all users' option in the installer.

Then you assume incorrectly. The only prompt I received during the set up process was regards to another older program of yours called “DVD Shrink”.

As with most things, there are side effects and I guess one of them is how Windows then deals with discs being inserted in drives. (I wasn't aware of the issue until just now as I don't require that option to be enabled)

This is 100% a Windows issue. If you want to mention it to someone, mention it to Microsoft. Of course XP is old now so there's 0% chance of them doing anything about it.

Thank you for the information. If I am ever brave enough to install any further upgrades of your program I will take care to note everything that you have espoused upon. It is unlikely though, 2.5.5 works a treat and I do have other burn suites.

Do have a nice day

Earl

You’re a bit of an angry person, aren’t you?

I get angry when people have a go about something they know nothing about. Why not ask for help *before* coming to your own (incorrect) conclusions?

ImgBurn gets used by a large number of people and issues like this just wouldn't be issues for very long without me knowing about it.

Then you assume incorrectly. The only prompt I received during the set up process was regards to another older program of yours called “DVD Shrink”.

No offence but I don't think I did. Enabling that SPTI related option is the only thing you could have done which (as I've now tried and tested several times) results in the problem you were seeing.

'Enable SPTI for all users' is not a prompt, it's a checkbox in with the other installation options. Oh and the prompt you saw would have been for DVD Decrypter.

The autoplay related entries made by 2.5.5.0 and 2.5.6.0 are identical. And even if they weren't, they're just me throwning one more ball in the ball pitt. They add ImgBurn as an option for various autoplay types. They don't change what's already there or what Windows decides to pick as the default one.

Do remember that ImgBurn is just a single exe (there are no drivers or anything). If it's not running, it can't possibly be doing anything to your system.

2.5.5.0 doesn't work a treat, that's why 2.5.6.0 contains the bug fixes that it does. Install 2.5.6.0 again and *don't* check the 'Enable SPTI for all users' option in the installer. I'm 100% confident that you won't have any problems with it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.