Well, it makes good coasters

lancedickchops

OK, I have used imgburn on & off for years, mainly to burn double layer disks, but in all honestly I don't think I have ever used any other program that gives as many burning errors as this this program does.

To all the "flaming" imgburn fan boys,,No it's not my hardware, no its not my OS or PC & it's not my brand of media that causes these burn errors,,, it's the imgburn program..period! I have two new burners (LG and Sony),many TB's of HDD space 6GB of memory i7 processor etc, etc, etc & the system goes like a train.

Go back a couple of years & the imgburn program was reasonably reliable, although it was still finicky back then also, but just not as much as it has become lately.

I think you guys have become so tied up in regularly trying to update the program with something new or better & more cutting edge that you have lost your way a little & gone down the wrong path because the program has become terribly unreliable.

I don't mind a couple of coasters here & there but the top media is expensive & I am sick of this program saying everything is OK before the burn begins & then spitting out an error after about 20 seconds into the burn. "Bingo" another Blu ray or Double Layer DVD down the gurgler.

It has gotten to the stage now where I expect it to happen, & 9 out of 10 times it does. None of the other programs I use do it & I can go for months(years even) without any burn problems using them. Like today,, I ended up with 4 DVD coasters using imgburn, it gave the same error over & over so I tried my other program and it made a perfect DVD. So that was the last straw, it's over between me & this imgburn program now! No more.

So goodbye for the time being Imgburn, I will try you again in another couple of years, hopefully by then you will have gotten back on the right track & you will have become reliable & worthwhile program.

No offence but you aren't really in a position to make comments on the program as a whole or speak on behalf of all the other tens/hundreds of thousands of users.

Software doesn't burn discs, the drive (and its firmware) does. That's why you'll never see any software update saying it's improved burn quality or added support for a specific disc (not format of disc, that's different) - they're things that get implemented / tweaked in firmware.

You haven't actually mentioned the error you keep seeing (why not post a log so we can look?) but if the burn fails then that's down to the drive. Anyone that actually knows the ins and outs of burning will agree with me and confirm that.

• 1 month later...

Coaster was my own doing! Thanks LIGHTNING UK! for your help with my burning issues. I am sure you're right about DVDFab creating too large a file with the settings I had chosen.

The drive in question came installed in my new Dell XPS 8300 with Intel core i7 @3.4GHZ, 12gb RAM, and a 1TB HDD. As far as I have been able to determine the drive is an Hitachi/LG. It seems to be ok, but I am already thinking of replacing it with a Plextor. I already cracked the case on this new machine when it was less than a week old to install a blu ray burner -- Plextor PX-LB950SA. I've never owned better drives than Plextor and I have owned PCs since 1989 (an EPS Technologies PC, an IBM Aptiva, and 2 Dell XPS - the 2003 model and this 2012 unit -- there was also one in there that I built, but it lived briefly -- right up to the fatal power surge). I have tried approximately 20 DVD drives over the years and still have 8 working IDE drives on the shelf.

ImgBurn was stated to me in an email from DVDFab tech support to be the burning engine of choice. Specifically it stated that ImgBurn is better than the built-in VSO burning engine.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.