Bootable CD Issue

Curti

I copied the files from my windows XP pro cd on to my HDD. I figured out that you can't just copy them back to the cd and it will automatically boot. Trying to correct the issue my kid stepped on the official disk and cracked it. I have the files, i have your program so i tried making a new bootable CD with your program (which is VERY nice btw) but i get the following error.

CDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5

I got the boot image file from a friend's xp cd. Help?

What emulation type did you use? I believe it needs to be on 'None (Custom)'.

It would be easier (and better) to just get your mate to copy the entire cd for you. I don't think there is anything wrong in doing that, the license sticker / bit of paper is what you've paid for.

Obviously it'll have to be the same version as the one you did have - i.e. Professional OR Home edition.

I created a new ISO with the parameters you metioned. I wasnt sure if i had the first time. Wrote the new ISO to a new CD and tried to boot again. Same error occurs.

'None (Custom)'

CDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5

Also, my mate moved out of state last week and everyone else i know is a little protective of their CDs.

Attached is the log of the ISO creation. Not sure if that helps but I spose it can't hurt either.

ImgBurn.log

'Sectors To Load' should be on 4.

Incase that makes a difference!

I hope you're testing this stuff on CD-RW's ;)

@Lightning UK,

I just tried it my self, making ISO files and seeing if VirtualPC would boot off them, and I couldn't get it to work using custom emulation, and sectors to load: 4. (!) I then found a few more settings to change, and the iso booted, so I included the project file as an attachment.

On the options tab, the file system was set as ISO + Joliet, and the include hidden and include system files options were ticked, and on the restrictions tab, I ticked: "Don't Add ;1 Version numbers to file names", ISO Level 2 - 31 characters.

The project file has a few restrictions relaxed, but these are the only ones that need to be ticked for the CD to boot.

PS: Like the "Average Write Rate: 16,830 KB/s (112.2x) - Maximum Write Rate: 35,291 KB/s (235.3x)" burns! :D

WinXPboot.ibb.txt

Edited by pfeerick

pfeerick,

thanks for the advice, i tried your layout and i tried setting those options manually, both times failed. I'm starting to think it may be my boot image file. Both for WinXP Pro, one is corporate and the other was retail version.

Lightning UK,

I looked for the "Sectors to Load" option and couldnt find it. I also looked for any option i could set to "4" and could find nothing there either.

I have a stack of blank CD--Rs that are years old, I dont mind tossig a few away ';p

Anyone,

know where i can find a good boot image or another ISO that i can edit w/ my retail files?

<-- not too smart.

I found the "Sectors to Load" options and set it to 4. build/burn and boot! :D

Thanks for the help, i know what i'll be doing all day tomorrow! :sleeping:

Donates incoming! Referring all my friends! :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.