When a DVD dies.....

King_Drax_I

I think my DVD drive might be on its way out; that, or I have had a few duff DVD-R blanks.

In any case, sometimes my DVD does not burn correctly. In these cases, it doesn't manage to burn the lead-in, and the drive just keeps running up and then slowing down again, ad nauseam; it's stuck in a loop or something!

The thing is that when I try to cancel the burn process, ImgBurn can't seem to stop it. I can't stop the process using Process Explorer or Task Manager. I have tried allowing ImgBurn loads of time to terminate the process (it gets a bit annoyed if you try to rush it!) but the only way to stop the process is to eject the DVD using a paperclip (it's the only way to get the drive to open) and then shut the PC down using the power switch held down for 5 seconds.

Why is it that optical drives have so much say in the way a computer works? If a CD or DVD drive throws a strop, that's it, the computer has to be shut down. This has been the case since Win98SE when if you took a CD out of the drive before it was ready, it used to declare the disc missing and even if you put the original disc back in again, still the strop would not end. How come a simple optical drive can have such far-reaching and over-dominating effects in even a modern computer?

Anyway, I wondered if there was any way of getting ImgBurn to actually stop the drive and the process when the Abort button is pressed? I love ImgBurn, it really is a superb program, and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the program, but why is it that optical drives are a law unto themselves, and, is there anything that ImgBurn can do to help?

I think you'll find it's any drive - or anything that doesn't respond to an I/O command of some description.

The OS / program wait for success / failure and can't continue properly (at all) until it gets one or the other. Pulling the power from the drive would be the quickest way to get out of a 'stuck' situation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.