File System for jpeg DVD ?

Mike99

I want to burn some jpeg files to a DVD-R for both archiving & playing on a Blu-ray player to view as a slide show.

ImgBurn came up with a file system to use of ISO9660 +UDF. The ImgBurn guides states to add Joliet to a data CD but no mention was made what to do about a data DVD. So I added Joliet just to make sure I could read the disc.

I also burned the same jpegs to another DVD-R using the Windows 7 Windows Explorer burn function.

Both discs work in a PC & a Blu-ray player. But there are some differences.

The Windows Explorer burned version is UDF(1.02) only, has 2 sessions and is not closed. The burned area on the disc is visibly smaller than the ImgBurn disc. When loading into the PC a window opens up asking what you want to do, such as view pictures, open folder to view files, etc.

The ImgBurn disc is 1 session & is closed. When loading into the PC the window that asks what you want to do does not come up. Could the 3 file systems be confusing Windows?

When viewing in Windows Explorer both discs do display the 9.3 length filenames.

If UDF supports long filenames, what is the difference between “ISO9660 +UDF” and ISO9660 +Joliet +UDF”? In other words what is the purpose of adding Joliet?

The ImgBurn guide states that the UDF file system is used for storing files on optical media, and is required for DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray discs. Does that mean DVD data discs, DVD Video discs, or both?

I apologize for all the questions, but I want to make sure I’m using the proper file system in order to safely backup my jpeg photos.

It doesn't matter which file systems are present when you're using Windows for playback/browsing, it supports all 3 of the ones ImgBurn can create. The only time it becomes something to think about is when you want to put the disc in a standalone player - where you then need to read the manual to see what it supports.

Windows will pick the best supported file system available on the disc.

If you have a disc with UDF + Joliet + ISO9660, that'll be UDF. The other file systems are just ignored (but do no harm by being there).

Some standalone players will only attempt to read DVD/BD video structures from a UDF file system, after that they fall back to Joliet for regular data discs (Again, check the user manual). If you don't have Joliet on the disc then it'll read ISO9660 and that's rubbish!

UDF is required for the DVD / BD Video discs - or at least that's what all commericial discs use. For data discs you can use whatever meets your requirements.

If Windows isn't popping up the autoplay box, it's probably because it hasn't detected that the media changed (been written to). Just reboot and try it again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.