Spare areas or not?

Barny

The settings of ImgBurnI have successfully written files using MultiAVCHD using my DVD collection and burnt them onto a PanasonicBD-RE 25GB disc without any problems many times over using ImgBurn. I have just bought 1 single Verbatim 50GB-R D/L disc for my full collection of Harry Potter disc's, total output 45.5GB AVCHD. Would it be better in the write section of ImgBurn to have the tick in the setting "Prefer format without spare areas" or take it out? I will only be able to have one shot at this.

I don't know as this is the first Blu-Ray BD-R-DL disc I have ever bought. The BD-RE disc I had to format because ImgBurn wouldn't write to it without, that was done with the tick out of the "Prefer format without spare areas" does it only format new BD-RE disc's then? I just wanted to make sure of writing the 8 films to one disc, trying not to make an ash-tray out of it. I have successfully written 5 AVCHD films to the BD-RE 25GB disc without problems and it plays all films fine on my LG player to my TV, with 5.1 sound and excellent quality video.

The program knows to format the discs it needs to format, when it needs to format them. That is all taken care of automatically and the default settings work fine - that's why they're default.

No BD-R needs formatting before use, be it single, double, triple or quad layer.

ImgBurn will only format a BD-R when the option for format without spare areas is disabled - otherwise it's just pointless.

By formatting with spare areas, you lose some space on the disc but the drive then activates its 'defect management' and will remap bad sectors found during the burn (it'll burn at half the speed though).

If this is your one and only BD-R DL disc, you may want that. It may improve your chances of getting a successful burn. Either way, you just have to hope your drive doesn't mess up.

Thank you very much lightning. I will remember that for future use. When the disc comes next week I will burn it and let you know here, how I got on. If my drive messes up, I will put that down to experience. So far I have never had a bad disc using ImgBurn.

I received my 50gb D/L Verbatim disc today and successfully burnt the 8 Harry potter films as AVCHD files. I did leave the tick in the box to "Prefer format without spare areas" and it plays on my LG Blu-Ray player to my TV with excellent quality film. Thanks for your help Lightning.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.