XP ISO of Hidden Files

the_new_new

I Just got a new computer and would like to create an image of my "Local OS Disk(C:), NTFS, 200 GB used space " from my old computer , and mount the image on the new computer.

-To move files over as need be or keep the image for back-up.

Question:

What about the hidden files on my C:\ drive, can i access those with the newly created iso, or they are not copied over.

Operating System:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

ianymaty,

- You are saying that I will still have an image of my (C:\) drive and not the hidden files.

Secondly,

If I mount the image, and use a tool/program and it uses hidden files, there is a good chance that my tool/program will not work.

I think I get what you are saying.....

You can make the program to include all kind of files (hidden, archive, system) on the Options tab on the right.

I just say that is not the proper way to transfer the OS to a new computer.

I certainly wouldn't ever use ImgBurn for that job.

I'd make an image of the drive via a bootable disc (I use Acronis True Image) - so that OS on the disc isn't actually running at the time.

Once the same software is then installed within Windows on the new machine, you'll probably be able to mount the image and access it like any other drive (possibly just read only).

ianymaty and LIGHTING UK! ,

Thanks...for the input

The idea was to mount the image on my new machine (Windows 7)....and transfer files that I need form my old computer (XP machine) iso/image.

-I guess what i'm looking for is a mapped drive (XP image) on my new computer, that is only being used to transfer files on an as need bases.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.