Making a Bootable CD

JeffatImgBurn

Thanks to those that have added information, including screen shots, to help explain the various Imgburn functions. I read many of them thoroughly but I have not had much success with the "Bootable Image/Disc" procedure. What is it that is being created when one extracts a bootable image from a floppy or disc? How is it that even though Imgburn asks if the extracted content should be added to the project it does not appear as a file or files in the content window nor does a disk created with only that boot? My current attempt is to immulate a DOS 6.22 bootable CD I found (don't ask why), but with my own modifications. Even though I have created a small bootable partition on an external drive and extracted that boot image I don't seem to be able to make a bootable disk. Can anyone offer insights or advise concerning my specific project and/or the creation of a bootable CD in general? Thanks

The extracted boot image is usualy an .IMA file. The boot section is not part of the user data, that's why you don't see it listed.

You need the bootable image for your specific needed disc, you can find some here http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm Ectract the .IMA from the .exe with an arhive tool like WinRAR.

I don't know why you need to make that bootable partition...

If you follow the guide to make a bootable image you should get there.

Thank you for your reply. As I mentioned in my post I have extracted a boot image from a small FAT 16 partition I created and made bootable with DOS 6.22. My goal is the create a bootable DOS 6.22 CD that contains about 18 MB of data to be transfered to replacement laptops for a machine shop that uses these DOS systems to send data to milling machines. So far, using the extracted boot image and adding the needed files (including MSDOS.SYS, IO.SYS, and COMMAND.COM) to the project, I have only gotten a "Non-system disk" error. Any other thoughts on this issue, anyone? Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.