Creating an Audio CD (help)

.Wolfie

Found the instructions on how to generate a .cue sheet, that part I got figured out. Here's where I'm having an issue. Instead of simply burning it to a CD, I want to create an image file first that I can mount so that I can give the CD a 'test drive' first, to make sure that the resulting audio will sound right and such. That and if I decide to burn extra copies later, I'd like to be able to simply burn the exact same image that was used the first time. Don't want to burn to a disc and then 'rip' it, because that rather defeats the purpose of being able to test it BEFORE burning it.

So I've tried mounting using A120%, Gizmo, Daemon Tools and I even tried IsoBuster. All of them bomb for reading the CUE file. I used WinAMP to 'play' all the same files in the same order but to disk instead of to the speakers. I used the resulting WAV files to add to the cue sheet and IsoBuster was able to load that just fine. However it seems like no matter what options I try, I can't get it to give me a usable image file. Either it spits the different audio tracks out as individual ISO files or it gives me errors when trying to generate a single ISO file.

So if someone knows of a simple and easy way to create an image from the CUE file, that would be wonderful. I know I could do it with Nero, but with as bulky/bloated/expensive as that is, I'd rather avoid it like the plague. (Nero USED to be good, but then it tried to turn into an all purpose.. something..)

Don't you have a CD-RW you can use? At least then you aren't wasting a CD (which I assume is what you're worried about).

There are some virtual recorder programs out there too.

Not worried about wasting a CD, more of just wanting to skip doing that and not end up having a CD laying around and not knowing if it's the one I want to keep or not. Would rather that when I burn something, the only reason to discard it is if it's damaged or something.

I was hoping for something to do the equivalent of me burning to a disc and then ripping it back, but without actually doing all that. Also hoping that I won't have to install anything else, that I'm just not doing something correctly. However if I need to install something else then I guess I don't have a choice. Any particular recommendations on a virtual recordable drive? I know Nero offered one (at least did at one point) but that's too much b.s. to download.

I tried Phantom Drive and it's buggy not to mention designed stupidly. If you set it to emulate a CD image, it's 703mb. You can't change the size of it at all (not to a 650 disc or to a larger disc). It's also given me crap when it supposedly did allow a burn.

Burner has a trial limitation of 50mb so not gonna even bother with that one.

Virtual CD, haven't toyed with it yet but it's more expensive than Phantom Drive and I recall someone saying that they're both from the same company or something.

I cracked under the pressure of wanted to get this tested out and downloaded... Nero (ewww). Plz plz PLZ add in the ability to create an image file (img/cue or bin/cue whatever). My computer started crying when it sensed me typing in Nero. It started begging me to not give up when I clicked to download. It threatened suicide when installing. It screamed bloody murder when I used it. So PLEASE consider adding the ability to create a bin file with the cue file.

While I'm on it, if I go to make a cue sheet and load a cue file that I made with ImgBurn only minutes earlier, it should load the gap/title/author details too shouldn't it? If not, then it's working fine. Otherwise, it's completely ignoring those details and making it pointless to try to load a cue file to make any changes to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I cracked under the pressure of wanted to get this tested out and downloaded... Nero (ewww).

It's not all that bad, at least not the older versions. I used 6 for many years, and it served me

well, but it doesn't allow you the degree of control that an app like ImgBurn does. The only

thing I've used it for lately is burning audio CDs from .mp3 files. I removed the entrire suite

from my system this evening after learning about ImgBurn's functionality in that arena.

BTW, if you do remove it, use the Nero clean tool. It gets rid of a boatload of registry entries

that the stock uninstaller ignores.

So PLEASE consider adding the ability to create a bin file with the cue file.

I was trying to do a similar exercise earlier, but I still haven't figured it out. My goal

was to create an ISO image for media of a given capacity, using only the CUE file

and the source files. So far, no joy. I don't even know if that's feasible. Back in the

day, I used to created BIN/CUE pairs with utilities like CDRWin. I've lost track of that

app over time.

Good luck.

Thomas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.