ImgBurn and ASMEDIA 106x controller

dreamsat

Hi! I don't know is this a bug or not supported controller but anyway may I tell you about it. Recently I've bought new controller ESPADA PCI-E,SATA3,2int+2ext port,FG-EST09A-1 on ASMEDIA 106x chip. This chip used on asus motherboards and some others too. I connected AD-5280S through it and use it till I start IMGBURN want to burn disk. And any blank DVD disks I try to insert not recognized as blank. Then I start invesigating the issue and what I've got at this moment.

If you start ImgBurn without blank DVD inside then start the Program, then trying to insert blank DVD or CD disk you are getting message "disk not empty" and button burn not visable. If you are inserting disk before starting ImageBurn then all seems to be OK and you can actually successfully write disk all OK. Or you can go trough ez-mode picker and choose the task again and then it's ok disk recognized as blank. Normally you can open and close tray with blank disk using load and eject buttons and ImgBurn recognized it perfectly and fairly instantly. But in case ASMEDIA 106x you need to insert disk before starting ImgBurn or every time go through ez-mode picker for recognizing blank disk. With Nero Burning Rom 11 (Tested open and close tray in info disk menu all OK) and ultraiso 9.5.2.2836 all OK!!! If I connecting drive through onboard controller H61 intel AHCI all OK.

Thank you.

Edited by dreamsat

That is the thing! Nothing is changing in the right window!

Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S 1.01 (ATA)

Current Profile: None!

Disc Information:

State of Last Session: Unknown

Erasable: Unknown

Formatted: Unknown

Sessions: Unknown

But if I insert disk before starting ImgBurn or start ez-mode picker and choose task after nothing happened all ok.

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

State of Last Session: Empty

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 2 295 104

Free Space: 4 700 372 992 bytes

Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)

Next Writable Address: 0

MID: VDSPMSAB-001-01

Supported Write Speeds: 2,4x; 4x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Disc ID: VDSPMSAB-001-01

Book Type: DVD+R

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196 608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2 491 711

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: VDSPMSAB-001-01

Book Type: DVD+R

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196 608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2 491 711

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Performance (Write Speed):

Descriptor 1...

-> B0: 0x00; B1: 0x00; B2: 0x00; B3: 0x00

-> EL: 2295104 (0x00230540)

-> RS: 6 925 KB/s (5x) - WS: 3 324 KB/s (2,4x)

Descriptor 2...

-> B0: 0x00; B1: 0x00; B2: 0x00; B3: 0x00

-> EL: 2295104 (0x00230540)

-> RS: 6 925 KB/s (5x) - WS: 5 540 KB/s (4x)

Edited by dreamsat

So if you load the program and put it into write mode... AND THEN insert a blank disc, it says it's not empty?

It looks as if the commands are failing to be processed properly (by your drive/drivers) to me.

Do as mentioned above and load the program + put it into write mode, but then press the F8 key to enable I/O debug mode (it'll say it has been activated in the Log window) before inserting your blank disc.

Once it has come up saying what you pasted earlier...

i.e.

Current Profile: None!

Disc Information:

State of Last Session: Unknown

Erasable: Unknown

Formatted: Unknown

Sessions: Unknown

...please F8 again (to disable I/O debug mode) and save the log (via Files -> Save in the Log window). Then attach the log to a reply here in the forum (use the 'More Reply Options' button). Thanks :)

It's at start nothing is changing in log when I inserted disk after starting program. Only this strings again and again

I 01:53:42 CDB: 00 00 00 00 00 00

I 01:53:42 CDB Interpretation: Test Unit Ready

I 01:53:43 [1:15:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S 1.01 (G:) (ATA)

I 01:53:43 CDB: 00 00 00 00 00 00

I 01:53:43 CDB Interpretation: Test Unit Ready

I 01:53:44 [1:15:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S 1.01 (G:) (ATA)

I 01:53:44 CDB: 00 00 00 00 00 00

Changing starting only when I open ez-mode picker and actually choose task again. Log from start again.

ImgBurn2.log

Edited by dreamsat

If you open the program without a disc in the drive, switch to Write mode and press F8, it shouldn't be logging that exact info.

If it is, your drive is claiming it's ready - and obviously it can't be. What you should be seeing is some 'SENSE' lines too - meaning the 'TEST UNIT READY' command failed.

i.e.

I 23:11:40 [0:4:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S 1.Z7 (I:) (ATAPI)

I 23:11:40 CDB: 00 00 00 00 00 00

I 23:11:40 CDB Interpretation: Test Unit Ready

E 23:11:40 SENSE: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 3A 01 00 00 00 00

E 23:11:40 SENSE SK Interpretation: Not Ready

E 23:11:40 SENSE ASC/ASCQ Interpretation: Medium Not Present - Tray Closed

You must have I/O debug mode enabled before you insert the disc and leave it enabled until after the disc info box on the right gets populated.

If there's no change in the response to the 'TEST UNIT READY' command between there being no disc in the drive and there being a disc in the drive, it's totally out of my hands. Put your drive on a controller that actually works properly.

You must have I/O debug mode enabled before you insert the disc and leave it enabled until after the disc info box on the right gets populated.

After inserting disk nothing happens. That is the problem. Only after again open task.

If there's no change in the response to the 'TEST UNIT READY' command between there being no disc in the drive and there being a disc in the drive, it's totally out of my hands. Put your drive on a controller that actually works properly.

That would be case if other programs didn't work too IMHO. But nero burning rom 11 and ultraiso working fine. if I put drive on H61 onboard it's works with imgburn fine too. But I was curious why other programs works and imgburn doesn't.

Edited by dreamsat

Sorry, I've no idea.

If 'test unit ready' isn't erroring out when there's no disc in the drive, something is wrong with the system.

The program can only work with what's being reported.

If other programs rely on a response to something else (or on the OS's auto insert notifications) then that's down to them... ImgBurn doesn't I'm afraid.

Yep. After starting the program and open task log file cycling those even after inserting disk

I 02:30:10 [1:15:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S 1.01 (G:) (ATA)

I 02:30:10 CDB: 00 00 00 00 00 00

I 02:30:10 CDB Interpretation: Test Unit Ready

I 02:30:11 [1:15:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S 1.01 (G:) (ATA)

I 02:30:11 CDB: 00 00 00 00 00 00

I 02:30:11 CDB Interpretation: Test Unit Ready

I 02:30:12 [1:15:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S 1.01 (G:) (ATA)

I 02:30:12 CDB: 00 00 00 00 00 00

I 02:30:12 CDB Interpretation: Test Unit Ready

I 02:30:13 [1:15:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S 1.01 (G:) (ATA)

In nero I can open and close tray and it detemine disk or no disk properly. Strange. But never mind. If you don't know I don't know who knows! Thank you!

Edited by dreamsat

If you leave the log scrolling like that and just eject/load the tray (with no disc in it) a few times, does it still never change its response to be more like mine? i.e. with the SENSE stuff and 'Not Ready'

What driver version do you have installed? 1.3.1.0 ?

Ok so how about if you press F5 whilst it's sitting there in write mode with drive reporting itself as being 'ready' when it isn't?

That'll cause the program to release the drive handle and recreate it.

Once you've tested that a few times, if it's still not making any difference, try the whole thing again after changing the SPTI enumeration method in the settings (on the I/O tab) to something else.

Device Interface is the best one but I'm curious to know if the others work.

Nothing! Cycling and nothing changing.

I 02:49:00 [1:15:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S 1.01 (G:) (ATA)

I 02:49:00 CDB: 00 00 00 00 00 00

I 02:49:00 CDB Interpretation: Test Unit Ready

Change device class to device interface and vise versa while disk inside and cycling -> lead to determining disk. But after that no change again. Drive letter give error.

Edited by dreamsat

You don't need to worry about testing with discs - actually, it's better if you don't.

What you're aiming for is having that 'test unit ready' commands error out like mine did and report there's no media present - tray open/closed.

Get that working properly and the rest will be fine too.

I'm interest to see for myself just how messed up these asmedia chipset cards are, so I ordered one off ebay. It ships from HK though so it'll take a week or so to get here :(

If I look in the manual for a motherboard that has an ASMedia 1061 chipset on it (ASUS P8H61-M came up in a search for 'ASMedia 1061 ATAPI), there's a note by the info for that chipset/its ports saying ATAPI devices aren't supported.

The same is mentioned in the Z77 and X79 board manuals. So that's probably why you're having problems.

Was that log created without having a disc in the drive (at all) ?

There isn't a single command failing! So basically, the drives can't EVER not be 'ready'.

You really shouldn't be using that card/chipset for an optical drive. It's assuming things that might well always be true of a HDD or SSD, but are certainly not true of an ODD.

Yep. No disk at all. OK. Thank you! Is there any chance is it drivers problem not chipset?

Not recognized drive through silicon image IDE SATA connector. Cycling flash led on DVDRW and nothing. I think you right. This is only for HDD!

Edited by dreamsat

I guess it could be possible... by all means, go back through all the various versions and give them a try. I don't think ASUS would have bothered to mention not to attach ATAPI devices to it though if that was the case.

Looking at the log, I see no reason why you couldn't already be in Write mode when inserting the disc. Just insert it, wait the normal 10-30 seconds for the drive to finish initialising it, then press F5 to force ImgBurn to refresh the device. That'll ignore the fact the drive was already reported to be ready and attempt to read the disc from scratch.

The reason it's not automatic is because there's no difference in the response from the drive between it being empty or not empty.

Ok. I think I pressed F5 in log window earlier and that is why nothing happens. Now when I pressed F5 in main windows that is clear the windows or Read the blank disk. This is working with F5. I want to ask this is only problem or maybe somewhere else something may not be reporting properly with this controller?

Edited by dreamsat

Without (thoroughly) testing an ASMedia card myself, it's hard to say if the way it never errors out will cause a problem. There are times when certain error codes are required for correct functionality and I just don't know at this point how well the program will still work if it doesn't get them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.