How much memory does Img Burn require ?

Harish Kumar

I am a heavy computer user and watch youtube videos regularly while burning backups to double layer DVDs (Verbatim). Often there are several videos buffering while I watch and enjoy one of them. Will ImgBurn work properly under these circumstances or will it lead to improper or incorrect burns ?

My Laptop Specs

Processor : Intel Core i3 CPU dual core M 380 @ 2.53 GHZ each

RAM : 3 GB -- Usable : 2.87 GB

You should have no problem at all.

Even if something is happening during the burn so the buffer is not loaded as needed, buffer underrun of the drive should kick in. Of course, if you not disable it.

As for an actual value, about the closest I can tell you is it's less than 1% of 8 GB. I have an app installed whose Notification icon displays how much percentage of available memory is used up. When opened, ImgBurn has never caused this value to increase by even 1%. If you want to see how much memory is being used during a burn by a write job, etc. loading memory into the buffers, I would suggest starting Task Manager with CTRL+ALT+DEL and check for ImgBurn under the Process tab. I checked it just now and sitting there doing nothing, ImgBurn uses 31,000 KB of memory.

By the way, this one is not related to ImgBurn, as already mentioned I have 3 GB of RAM installed. Would I see an appreciable improvement in performance, if I upgraded to 4 GB ? Being a heavy user with multiple firefox browser windows open with multiple tabs per browser (25-50), I often find my system slows down terribly, especially when using youtube. It takes several seconds, sometimes 10-20 seconds, to switch between browser windows. Will an extra 1 GB make any difference or should I add 2-3 GBs ?

Had a Vista 32 bit system with 2GB RAM and an addition up to 3GB made a notable difference in speed.

Running Windows 7 on a 3GB or a 4GB/8GB on a 64 bit system, can't say I noticed any huge speed increase.

In most cases the troubles comes with the hard disk if it's used for heavy writing with another application on the same time as you burn. But then, modern burners have the buffer under run function that resumes the burn if the buffers go empty.

Had a Vista 32 bit system with 2GB RAM and an addition up to 3GB made a notable difference in speed.

Running Windows 7 on a 3GB or a 4GB/8GB on a 64 bit system, can't say I noticed any huge speed increase.

In most cases the troubles comes with the hard disk if it's used for heavy writing with another application on the same time as you burn. But then, modern burners have the buffer under run function that resumes the burn if the buffers go empty.

Thank you Cynthia. I am at present using Windows 7 Home Basic. If I decide to upgrade to Home Premium, which means I will be able to have all the Aero Effects, then may be an upgrade would be essential to maintain speed. What do you think ? Otherwise, I agree it would be unnecessary.

Yes Cynthia, I agree with you. I think the price in India of DD3 RAM @ 1333 Mhz is around $40. How much is it in the USA or Europe ? By the way, is there a difference between Laptop RAM and Desktop RAM ? I see advertisements to that effect. Also does adding too much RAM slow down the system, I have heard some people say so. I have a dual core i3 each at 2.35 Ghz, can it handle 6 GB RAM, without it being slowed down owing to too much of RAM ?

Edited by Harish Kumar

Never heard that to much RAM slows it down. Easiest is to go to your manufactures homepage and look at the specs for the memory it demands.

DDR3 1333 8GB 2x4GB (Kingston) is around $59 here in Sweden and DDR3 1333 4GB 1x4GB CL9 Adata is $28 (incl 25% VAT)

Thanks for the information Cynthia. Yes the rates are comparable in India.

I only wish the 1 TB Ext HDD prices will also plummet. Its been the same for almost 2 years. I am well aware of the floods in Thailand. But I hope now that the situation has improved, the prices will plummet. Lets keep our fingers crossed, and see what happens !

Edited by Harish Kumar

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.