Automatically Verify after Read?

montmorency

Would it make sense to Verify by default when creating an image from a disc (i.e. Read mode)?

I could not find a setting that covered this, and the Verify box gets greyed-out during the Read operation.

It is normally recommended to do a Verify after burning a disc (i.e. the default action), but isn't it equally logical to want o make sure an image you have just read to disc was read correctly?

You can do the Verify manually of course, but would it not be more consistent to make it automatic (with the ability to turn it off if not wanted)?

Thanks.

• 4 years later...

Reading a disc makes use of error correction and a drive generally doesn't report success at reading a sector unless everything checks out ok.

It's certainly the case that a properly functioning drive will only return the data from a sector if its integrity has been verified, but there are many points at which corruption can occur after that verification. I've encountered mysterious corruption in a number of different disc images in the past that were eventually traced back to causes including:

- A slightly faulty or loose IDE cable in an external drive enclosure

- An occasionally malfunctioning USB controller

- Failing RAM (very infrequently flipping a single bit, not yet causing any OS/system instability)

- Failing memory controller on a CPU (only malfunctioning a few times monthly)

Other causes of corruption are of course possible. Corruption caused by intermittent problems is likely to be detected by verifying after reading. I always manually verify after reading to avoid ending up with more bad images, so I would naturally consider an option to automatically verify after reading to be very handy. Such an option would be especially valuable for automatic (robotic) batch/bulk reading since it's more likely that infrequent corruption will show up when tons of data is moving around.

Thank you very much for considering this for a future version of ImgBurn. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.