Burning speed, posible bug?

khagaroth

When I'm burning this media brand - Giga master DVD+R 1 - 8x (MPOMEDIA 080-000) ImgBurn behaves very strange. If I first launch ImgBurn and then insert the disk, it burns only at 4x, but if I first insert the disk and open ImgBurn after the drive fully loaded it, it burns at 8x with no problems. Device info shows correct info in both cases and writing speed is set to max.

The program isn't going to change what it does on a per instance basis, the lines a hardcoded to send the speed to your drive depending on what you select for the speed.

I've never actually heard of that media brand, maybe it's a cheapo one that your drive doesn't fully support.

The drive could be slowing the burn down because it knows it won't get a good burn if it burns at full speed.

Nero always says it's burning at the speed you selected, it doesn't mean it really is.

Do you have a log handy? an IBG file?

If you can provide those, maybe I can find the root cause.

If you set the program to write a 'max', there is no scope for the program / drive to get muddled up. 'Max' is not a number as such, it's just sending 0xFFFFFFFF to the drive for the speed. After that, the speed is totally down to the drive.

If it was burning at 4x when you selected 8x I'd say the drive is using the next lowest number - so selecting 10x, 12x etc might make it burn at 8x. This cannot possibly be the case with 'Max'.

Nero always says it's burning at the speed you selected, it doesn't mean it really is.

Don't know if this still works for v7, but adding/changing the following (and attached) registry key makes nero 6 display the real (current) burn speed.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Recorder]

"ShowSingleRecorderSpeed"=dword:00000001

Nero_Live_CD_Burning_Speed.reg.txt

Edited by pfeerick

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.