Buffer Recovery Panel

uSerKey

I did another search using "Buffer Recovery" and read all the results but found no help.

After opening the "Settings" window, under the "I/O" tab,

the section "Buffer Recovery Thresholds" with "Main", Device", and "Avg.DiskQ" sliders,

can anyone explain how to use these sliders if my drive has buffer problems when burning?

I know that the default settings are probably best in general,

but if during burns I see problems with buffer usage(for instance dropping below 10%)

which result in burn speed drops

are there any guides on using these sliders,

or is it simply do-it-yourself experimentation on a disc-to-disc basis?

Current settings on my PC(I assume these are default):

Main = 30%

Device = 50%

Avg. Disk Q: = 0.8

Sorry in advance if this has already been addressed in another post. ;)

Do you ever see the 'Waiting for buffers to recover' message in your log?

If not, these won't do anything - and you don't really want them to cut in early.

Just make your main buffer bigger if your machine has trouble filling it all the time.

Basically though, it's when the main buffer falls below the set level and the device one does too (it has to do this a few times in a row - sampled every 250ms I believe), the program pauses until the main one is full again.

It will also wait for disc activitiy to go below the said threshold. You can view this stuff in perfmon.msc

• 4 weeks later...
I did another search using "Buffer Recovery" and read all the results but found no help.

After opening the "Settings" window, under the "I/O" tab,

the section "Buffer Recovery Thresholds" with "Main", Device", and "Avg.DiskQ" sliders,

can anyone explain how to use these sliders if my drive has buffer problems when burning?

I know that the default settings are probably best in general,

but if during burns I see problems with buffer usage(for instance dropping below 10%)

which result in burn speed drops

are there any guides on using these sliders,

or is it simply do-it-yourself experimentation on a disc-to-disc basis?

Current settings on my PC(I assume these are default):

Main = 30%

Device = 50%

Avg. Disk Q: = 0.8

Sorry in advance if this has already been addressed in another post. ;)

I haven't seen it answered anywhere. I'm especially curious what the heck "Avg. Disk Q" means!

:/

I bumped the drive one up to 90% to allow it to respond quicker before it gets empty since it's too

slow to respond at 50% and it goes down to 2-3% before it can respond but left left the main one

alone. I burn a lot of DVDs so I use about 192 MB which is about a 4% buffer or about half a

minutes worth of at 4X but I have 2 GB of 128-bit memory and do not have any demanding

application running. I'm usually doing e-mail or may downloading some Usenet messages.

I don't even do web activity since sometimes you can get a page with heavy graphics usage that

really puts a big demand on the browser and slows the machine down. Of course, the priority

management is usually enough for it to prevent the browser from interferring but I don't want to

bother doing it again if there is a problem.

• 7 months later...

I had the same problem with a really slow DVD burn.

The ImgBurn folks solved the problem for me.

It turned out that Windows XP slows down the disks turning them from DMA to PIO without you knowing it.

See the references at http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4032

Good luck!

Karen Cito

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.