Pre-existing data multisession ISO & ImgBurn

Disco Makberto

Dear readers,

Greetings to LUK and all community members!

If I understand correctly, ImgBurn doesn't support multissesion burning as in incremental burnings with successive burnings. However, let's say that I have a data multisession ISO created with a different application. If I burn this data multisession ISO to CD/DVD using ImgBurn, is the resulting CD/DVD a multissession disc? I know that if I need to add something to the resulting multisession disc (assuming that is what is created), I would still need to use something different than ImgBurn. However, what I am addressing here is the first burning via ImgBurn using the pre-existing data multisession ISO.

Best,

Carlos Albert

D-Mak

Edited by Disco Makberto

If you make an image of a CD using Read mode, you'll end up with a BIN/CUE. It should then be able to write that back and you'll have a (finalised) multisession copy of your disc.

You can't do that with a DVD. The program will tell you to use Build mode instead and just add the drive letter of your drive with the DVD in it as the 'Source'. It'll then build a new ISO based on the contents of the last session on the disc. When you burn that new image, you'll end up with a finalised single session disc.

Dear LUK,

Thank you for your fast response, but I think there is a misunderstanding, or perhaps I didn't express myself correctly (please excuse me if that is the case). Please let me explain myself furtherly. For the purposes of this task, I don't have any already-recorded CD/DVD, and I am not interested in making or creating any ISO. What I have is a pre-existing ISO (which I got via online means), and this pre-existing ISO is a multisession ISO. My question is, if I use this multisession ISO with ImgBurn to create (that is, to extract and burn the contents of this multisession ISO into) a CD/DVD, is this CD/DVD a mutisession disc (based on the fact that the initial ISO is a multisession ISO)? Additionally, so as to express myself better, please note that I am talking about one burning task done one time; I know that if I want to add more files to the resulting disc (if it is multisession), I would need to use something different than ImgBurn.

Take care,

Carlos Albert

D-Mak

An ISO has no way of being a multisession ISO, it doesn't and can't contain the info required to reproduce such a disc. That's where other disc image formats come in.

So I have to ask, what do you actually have?!

If you have a multisession CD image that ImgBurn actually supports (no DVD ones are), ImgBurn should be able to burn it and produce a multisession (but finalised) disc.

It doesn't matter if what you start with is a multisession image or not, once ImgBurn has burnt it, the disc will be finalised and you won't be able to add more to it - with any software.

Hey, LUK!

Thank you kindly for clarifying the issue to me.

If you search under Google (or any other search engine) for the terms "multisession ISO" (or "multi-session ISO"), you will get many references for those terms, and some even coming from burner tools. That is the origin of my confusion. You see, I don't undertand why those people use the terms "multisession ISO" (or "multi-session ISO") if such a thing doesn't exist. Strange!....

As for what I have as ISO, it is a Linux OS that saves to itself on disc after the user customizes it. This is done via multisession burning.

In closing, thank you again for your invaluable help!

Thumbs up,

Carlos Albert

D-Mak

Ok, so you do actually have a disc! That's what I could have sworn you said you had in the first place (perhaps you edited your post to take that out? - making my post look a bit stupid!).

People say all kinds of rubbish on the internet, you can't believe everything you read :)

If it's a CD disc, ImgBurn will be able to make a copy of it via the Read and Write modes.

Hello, LUK!

Thanks for your new message.

Please excuse me if I misguided you. It was not my intention at all.

The ISO I have (as it pertains to my Linux OS discussed here) is not on a disc, but on an external hard drive. I downloaded it from the Internet from the author's Website. Of course, it is possible to buy it on disc or even on a memory card (I think) via alternative vendors.

This OS has a mechanism to save to itself on disc (after burning the ISO, of course). However, if the resulting disc is not left open to continue with subsequent burnings, then of course it won't be possible to save a customized new session on disc.

Since I was confused about the terms "multisession ISO" (or "multi-session ISO"), I thought that what I downloaded was indeed a "multisession ISO" (or "multi-session ISO"). Now thanks to your prime help, I understand that what I downloaded was a "regular ISO". It is the burner that creates a multisession on disc. Nobody created a "pre-existing multisession ISO" as my title implies because, as you are explaining, such a thing doesn't exist. Conclusively, my title is misleading and confusing. I agree. Hence, if you have any other questions to expand on the issue, it would be my pleasure to try to answer them.

All the very best,

Carlos Albert

D-Mak

P.S.: If I am permitted to say this, the Linux OS I am talking about is Puppy Linux.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.