can i do this with imageburn?

collieman2

I want to make a bootable XP CD. I copied the files from the original XP CD to a folder on my desktop. Using ImageBurn I went to that folder and created and ISO image with those files. Then I burned it to a blank CD using ImageBurn. The burn was successful, so it said. When I reboot the computer with the newly created disk in the drive it won't boot. It just goes straight through to windows. I don't get the "press any key " to start the installation. I tried many times even with Roxio, InCD, and Nero all with the same results. I can use the CD to do a new installation within windows and it works well. I'm using the new installation now. What am I missing? My question is...maybe this can't be done? Any thoughts on this?

ianymaty, I sure did miss the "bootable" part. I did a lot of Googleing but never came across the site you suggested here. I got disgusted last night and deleted the files I needed as I was giving up on this one but with your help I'm going to start over and try it again. All of these sites I went to for instructions on how to make a bootable CD said you have to make an iso image of the files to do it...nothing about any settings to make it "bootable" so I just burned the iso image. I tried quite a few burning softwares and course they wouldn't work. I wasted a stack of CD's before I started using a CDRW. I didn't think a CDRW would work. I'm starting over right now. Thanks VERYmuch for your help. I'll let ya know how it went.

I won't work. I didn't make and image this time. Just copied the files from the XP CD to a folder on desktop and went from there Took it step by step. Downloaded the bootimage as I don't have the original CD anymore (due to a new puppy) but it said the image was already there when extracting it to my parent folder. So I wnet on. Everything went fine just like the instructions said. It burned the disk. Made sure the settings were set for a bootable disk just like the instructions. Then I rebooted with the newly burned disk but no boot. It boots straight to windows. Made sure the CD/DVD drive was the first boot device in the BIOS. I tried my Vista DVD and it booted right up. So I tried another CDRW drive but still the same thing. So setting it "bootable" in the advanced tab didn't work either. If I want to format and reinstall XP I'll have to install 98 first then use the CD to upgrade to XP like I've been doing. Thanks for your help but I'm giving up on this venture. Waaaay to many hours and CD's wasted.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.