how to determine if cd drive is compatible with overburning

makeswell

So, sorry if this question has been asked a million times. My understanding is that ImgBurn will fill in extra area on a DVD if you ask it to overburn files to it, and that if your cd drive is compatible with overburning this will not cause your cd drive to malfunction, but if it is incompatible this will cause it malfunction. In the event that this much is true, my question is, how do I determine whether or not my cd drive is compatible with overburning i.e. whether or not overburning will cause my cd drive to malfunction or not? Thanks.

Either it works or it doesn't. It's not going to damage your drive.

Try and burn more to a disc than its reported capacity and the drive will either error out straight away or it'll continue until it really can't burn any more.

My advice? Don't even bother with it. Just burn what actually fits.

Overburning is simply a case of letting the drive decide where the end of the disc is and not (artificially) limiting the amount the program will attempt to burn to the reported capacity of the disc.

ImgBurn has never stopped you from attempting to burn beyond the reported capacity of the disc, it just warns you about it when you try.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.