Encrypted option

bdmeyer

Something that would be wonderful, for those of us that have to burn sensitive reports to media would be an encrypted CD option. I have used CD-LOCK on the past, but recently the author has chosen to completely change how it works. Now it decrypts the report to a temp file on the hard drive which makes part of encrypting the CD useless. From my eyes, I desire the decryption to happen in memory via a driver ala pgp whole disk encryption or other utils that don't store the decrypted info somewhere where it resides permanently, once decrypted. Scrambling the file names is another common option on some of the CD encryption tools I have used. The LG Software that came with my new DVD drive will encrypt, but it has a problem that imgburn does not, that is if it encounters a file path that is longer than the (is it ISO9660 or Joliet) length, it refuses to burn the CD. Imgburn will warn you, but allow you to continue. That is a feature I actually need, so imgburn remains my media burning application of choice. Yes I could use file encryption tools like 7-zip with AES-256 bit encryption and password protection, but then again, this requires the recipient of the burned media to copy the file from CD to their hard drive, decrypt it and then it remains in an unencrypted state on the hard drive forever. Also, my goal is that these reports have an autorun.inf file, and a README.txt, and the icon file in a non encrypted / plain text state on the drive when the report and it's files (which can be hundreds of files) are encrypted at rest. So in a nut shell: The CD will have two portions, a group of files that are normal, readable, and the rest of the files which are optionally scrambled file names and regardless of the filenames scrambled status, the contents are encrypted to a passphrase. When the cd is decrypted, it is either done entirely in memory, or through the use of a driver (which of course would have to be in the 'unlock.exe' unencrypted file always visible on the CD's plain text area. I hate to ask for complex and extremely time consuming features, so I thought I would ask for something simple and quick like this. :-) Bruce D- Meyer

Hi Bruce and welcome to the forum.

FYI:

This has been requested a couple times before, if memory serves me correctly, and the :worthy: Boss :worthy: has always declined to do it. Unless a suggestion actually adds some function that can enhance the program for 99.99% of all users the chances are that it will not be implemented in ImgBurn. Of course the Boss may add something about it in this post, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for it.

spinner

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.