DVD won't play in VCR - only on my pc

treldy

I burned an avi movie file onto a dvd.  the dvd won't play in my vcr, but it works when I play it using my laptop.  What settings do i need to use when burning so i can play the dvd in a vcr?  I need exact instructions PLEASE.  Thank you.

Is your VCR a Beta-Max or VHS? Either way, a VCR is a "tape" recorder (Video Cassette Recorder). :)

If it is a combo DVD/VCR or you just called your set top DVD player that, it probably (as you mentioned) doesn't support AVI files (although some players do). There is a free program (you can google) called DVD Flick http://www.dvdflick.net/ that you can install on your computer. It will take your AVI file and output it to a folder in the standard format that set top DVD players understand and play. You can then burn that folder with ImgBurn to a disc.

Before doing that, look in your DVD players owners manual (google it if you no longer have it) and be sure your player plays the type of DVD discs you are burning (DVD-R, DVD+R, or whatever you have). Some REALLY old ones don't play burned discs at all, some play DVD-R but not +R, so check your manual. Also check the forum sections for guides here that will help you. If you still have trouble, post a log of your burn. Things for the experts to look for are if it is PAL or NTSC, or other stuff that they will spot. Good luck.

If your set top player really is just a VCR, well..... :)

Edited by hollywood

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.