Need help saving/transferring files to new disc and OS

nofnclue

Greetings:

I have not used ImgBurn before, or any other image cloning program, so basically clueless and have questions. If there is a tutorial guide that will assist in what I'm trying to do, then point me to the right one.

As the title says, I'm trying to save and backup my files so I can transfer them to a new HDD and OS. My currently installed HDD has 4 bad sectors and I don't see any use for it, once I install the new HDD, as it could fail at any time?

I tried to do a backup with a new Seagate Backup Plus external 1TB HDD. The problem is it needs Visual C++ 2005 to install the control panel. My computer won't download the Visual C++ program. As my computer is missing the VC80 registry key. So now I have a useless new external HDD I can't use?

I have a few CD-RW disc's available, says on the box: 12x | 700MB/Mo | 80min. Not sure if these will work with ImgBurn, or which type of disc is best to use for my purpose. I tried to transfer my files to the above external drive using Windows "Easy Transfer", but it didn't work for the above reasons. The "Easy Transfer" program indicated I have approximately 60GB of files, pics, etc., excluding any programs, to transfer.

ImgBurn has 6 Ez-Modes to choose from, but I have no clue which one I should be using?

I don't know if ImgBurn burns files, data, or whatever is on your computer, only to a CD/DVD? Then if you want the same files, data, etc. on a USB stick they can be transferred from the CD/DVD to the USB stick? Basically I'm looking to save and transfer my files to do the HDD and OS change.

So any help appreciated, thanks, nofnclue.

When you click on "My Computer" or "Computer", you should see your drives. Can you see your external drive? If yes, double click on that drive so it opens a Windows Explorer. Then double click on My Computer again (it is either on your Desktop or Start Menu) and double click on the drive that has the folders/files you want to backup. You can then Drag them with your mouse from the existing Explorer windowof the external drive.

If you drag while holding the right mouse button, you will have the option to Copy or Move. If you choose Copy, you will create another copy to your external drive. If you connect that drive to another computer, you can then copy your stuff to the new computer (or newly reformatted drive).

Anyway, these instructions assume you can't install the backup software, but your computer can "see" the external drive. If so, you wouldn't need to burn to discs. Hope this helps.

When you click on "My Computer" or "Computer", you should see your drives. Can you see your external drive?

R. Yes.

If yes, double click on that drive so it opens a Windows Explorer.

R. On my machine its Firefox. As stated above when I double click the external drive it opens the install wizard to install the control panel for the ext. drive. The problem is the ext. drive install wizard needs Visual C++ 2005 to install the control panel. My computer won't download the Visual C++ program. So it errors out. As my computer is missing the VC80 registry key. So now I have a useless new external HDD I can't use?

Then double click on My Computer again (it is either on your Desktop or Start Menu) and double click on the drive that has the folders/files you want to backup. You can then Drag them with your mouse from the existing Explorer windowof the external drive.

R. It appears you are telling me here to copy/highlight and paste the files to my external drive showing in "my computer."

I appreciate your input, but as stated above the external drive won't let me do anything if I can't install the control panel. Unless there is a way to circumvent installing the control panel? Or I don't see how I could copy/paste my files to the external drive if I can't get the ext. drive control panel set up first?

If you drag while holding the right mouse button, you will have the option to Copy or Move. If you choose Copy, you will create another copy to your external drive. If you connect that drive to another computer, you can then copy your stuff to the new computer (or newly reformatted drive).

Anyway, these instructions assume you can't install the backup software, but your computer can "see" the external drive. If so, you wouldn't need to burn to discs. Hope this helps.

R. Thanks again, but I don't understand how I can follow your instructions, if I can't install the control panel in order to transfer files to the external drive?

You say in your last paragraph that I don't need the backup software to copy files to the external drive. If so, it sounds like I might as well return the new drive for a cheaper ext. drive that doesn't have software, or just a bare HDD?

Thanks.

If you have a computer that runs WindowsXP, or Vista, or 7, or 8; most external hard drives are connected by a USB cable. Most of those are "plug and play" meaning you just have to plug them in and they will work. In most cases, you would open "My Computer" or "Computer" and the drive should be able to be seen there. You *should* be able to copy files and folders. In some cases if it isn't, it may need to be formatted, but that is not typical. 

I made my post as a suggestion because backing up to CD discs would not be as easy as copying your data to an external drive. I hope you can get it working, but my that solution doesn't have anything to do with Imgburn, I suggest you ask a friend, or the store you bought your drive from to help you as this is pretty basic. Good luck.

My currently installed HDD has 4 bad sectors and I don't see any use for it, once I install the new HDD, as it could fail at any time

Just for me to understand you currently have two internal HDDs and you want to use an external drive for the job?

First thing to do is try the external drive on other computer to be sure it's working without problem.

Try latest Hiren's BootCD (or any LiveCD you can find) that has a Mini Windows XP to make at least two partitions on the new drive and transfer all your files to the new drive 2nd partition or to the external drive.

Take out the old drive and install the new OS in the first partition of the new drive.

After you have the new OS up and running and your files are in safe place use this tool to wipe the old drive and possibly repair it http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

You can use than a program that shows you the state of the HDD like HDD Sentinel. With just 4 bad sectors a HDD can still be used for storage (not sensitive/pecious data).

If you have a computer that runs Vista, most external hard drives are connected by a USB cable. Most of those are "plug and play" meaning you just have to plug them in and they will work.

R. That's what I thought, but as I said this External drive has a control panel that needs to be installed first.

In most cases, you would open "My Computer" or "Computer" and the drive should be able to be seen there. You *should* be able to copy files and folders. In some cases if it isn't, it may need to be formatted, but that is not typical. 

R. Probably with a external HDD that doesn't have a control panel like mine. But I am returning it, as it is useless to me if I can't install the required Visual C++ program.

I suggest you ask a friend, or the store you bought your drive from to help you as this is pretty basic. Good luck.

R. Thanks, I thought it would be pretty basic or plug and play also? I need it...good luck. Thanks.

My currently installed HDD has 4 bad sectors and I don't see any use for it, once I install the new HDD, as it could fail at any time

Just for me to understand you currently have two internal HDDs and you want to use an external drive for the job?

R. I have one internal failing HDD, that needs to be replaced with a new drive. I bought a external drive to copy my files to, so I could transfer those files to the new internal drive. And then use the ext. drive thereafter for daily/weekly auto - backups.

First thing to do is try the external drive on other computer to be sure it's working without problem.

R. The problem is with my computer that won't install the Visual C++ program required to get the external drive control panel installed. If the control panel is not installed I can't do anything with it. Seagate has no workaround for this issue.

Try latest Hiren's BootCD (or any LiveCD you can find) that has a Mini Windows XP to make at least two partitions on the new drive and transfer all your files to the new drive 2nd partition or to the external drive.

R. I appreciate your input here, but as my forum name suggests...I have nofnclue...what this means? Hiren's BootCD [or any live CD? Mini Windows XP? I have Vista. I don't think I can partition the external drive, if I can't even setup and access the control panel to same. This ext. drive at this point appears to be going back to where I bought it from.

Take out the old drive and install the new OS in the first partition of the new drive.

R. I understand take out the old drive and install the new drive, the 1st partition on the new drive is new area for me.

After you have the new OS up and running and your files are in safe place use this tool to wipe the old drive and possibly repair it http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

R. Here I presume safe place to mean on a flash drive, CD, or ext. HDD, so my files can be transferred to the new HDD once installed. Then I can wipe the old HDD clean and try to repair the bad sectors using the link you provided. Is this correct?

The only thing I could think of was buying a transfer cable to connect the old HDD to the computer and transfer my data, pics, files, etc. to the newly installed HDD drive using Windows Easy Transfer?

The Backup Plus has a removable end with a SATA HDD connector. So maybe I could use that removable SATA plug to connect my old HDD to. Use the cable from the Backup Plus to connect the old HDD to my USB port and try "Windows Easy Transfer", to transfer my old data to the new drive?

Once the old data is transferred to the new HDD and the new OS is installed. Then the Visual C++ program shouldn't be an issue to install the control panel for the external drive I just purchased. Then hopefully, I won't have to return the new external drive. Does this sound feasable?

You can use than a program that shows you the state of the HDD like HDD Sentinel. With just 4 bad sectors a HDD can still be used for storage (not sensitive/pecious data).

R. That's an option, but if I can do the above, I won't have to use the old HDD as backup. Maybe I could wipe the old HDD clean and try a repair. If it works, then maybe I could use the old repaired HDD to put my original Vista OS programs back onto it?

Thanks.

what this means? Hiren's BootCD [or any live CD? Mini Windows XP?

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/  Scroll down the page and click on Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip to download the file, extract the content to temp file and burn a disc. All the tools needed are in the package.

This is a bootable disc image so boot your computer from that disc. When the screen is up use the arrow keys to select Mini Windows XP and hit Enter.

It will load a mini version of Windows XP from the disc so you can ignore your currently installed OS as you are running a different OS from different location, than try connect the external drive, see if this way works.

I don't think I can partition the external drive...

I understand take out the old drive and install the new drive, the 1st partition on the new drive is new area for me.

You don't need to partition the external drive, just use it as a big single partition for backup.

I was reffering for the new internal drive (if you already had it).

Anyway if you manage to move your files to the external HDD with the help of the BootCD than you can try to recover your current HDD.

As a precaution is recommended to have at least two partitions on the HDD if you only have one installed in the computer.

The reason is that the first partition is dedicated to the OS and all the programs that you currently install and run. The 2nd partition is for saved data/storage.(That would be the "safe place")

If you already had that set up, you wouldn't needed the external drive. You just wipe the first partition and install the OS again, your files being kept in safe on the 2nd partition.

Also if you have plenty of space on the internal you could resize the partition and create another one on the unallocated space and move your data there.

HDD Sentinel has a feature of Surface Test non-destructiv Read + WRITE + read test (refresh data area) you could use.

It will load a mini version of Windows XP from the disc so you can ignore your currently installed OS as you are running a different OS from different location, than try connect the external drive, see if this way works.

R.  I appreciate the link and I'm sure the external drive would work as you suggested above. Presuming XP has the Visual C++ program required to install the control panel in the Backup Plus?

As a precaution is recommended to have at least two partitions on the HDD if you only have one installed in the computer.

R.  My current Vista 32 bit HDD has a [C:] system drive and [D:] Data drive.

The reason is that the first partition is dedicated to the OS and all the programs that you currently install and run. The 2nd partition is for saved data/storage.(That would be the "safe place")

R.  So my [D:] Data drive is in a "safe place".

If you already had that set up, you wouldn't needed the external drive. You just wipe the first partition and install the OS again, your files being kept in safe on the 2nd partition.

R.  So according to what you are saying above, then I don't need the external drive to back up, because my Data is safe on a separate [D:] drive.

Just for the record, and so we are both on the same page, I am not reinstalling the same Vista 32 bit OS again. I will be doing a custom/clean install of a new Windows 7/64 bit OS Pro Upgrade version on a new HDD.

So I will be installing a new OS on a new/clean HDD. Just wiping the [C:] drive partition clean and installing a new OS there sounds pretty basic. Which is good for me, because I am looking for simple and basic procedures. From what I understand the Windows 7 CD install partitions the new HDD drive on its own, so I shouldn't have to be too concerned with how to partition my new HDD, yes/no?

I should read a few tutorials on partitioning a HDD though, as I don't have any knowledge of that. But it looks like slicing up a pie into various sections, for specific items, data files, OS programs, files, etc.

Thanks, appreciate your input.

Edited by nofnclue

I am will be doing a custom/clean install of a new Windows 7/64 bit OS Pro Upgrade version on a new HDD.

That is quite confusing... clean install... Pro Upgrade... new HDD. Let's brake it down...

You don't need any external drive or any new drive in this situation.

You have your hard drive split to C:\ and D:\ partitions already, that's good. Save all you need to D:\ partition.

Boot from DVD or USB pendrive depending on your posibilities. When you get to the point to select the type of install, go with the Custom (advanced) install NOT Upgrade.

On the screen to select the partition click on the Drive options (advanced) button to reveal some options/buttons than click on C:\ partition to select it and click Delete button, the space becomes Unallocated. If there is a small partition before it in that list delete it too so you left with Unnalocated space followed by D:\ partition in that list. DO NOT Delete D:\ partition.

Now click to select the Unallocated space and click Next, following the install steps.

That's it, wait to finish the install.

I am will be doing a custom/clean install of a new Windows 7/64 bit OS Pro Upgrade version on a new HDD.

That is quite confusing... clean install... Pro Upgrade... new HDD. Let's brake it down...

You don't need any external drive or any new drive in this situation.

R. Based on what you are telling me about transferring files to the (D:) drive, it appears an external drive is not necessarily needed. But I would like to have a external drive for daily/weekly backups.

You don't think I need a new HDD to install the new OS on? Your not suggesting I install my new Win 7 OS on a defective drive are you? I already have a new drive ready to be installed.

You have your hard drive split to C:\ and D:\ partitions already, that's good. Save all you need to D:\ partition.

R. Again, I presume you are referring to my current drive, not the new drive. My current (D:) drive is 38.4GB free of 95GB. Windows Easy Transfer tells me I have 59GB's of personal data, files, pics, e-mail, etc. to transfer. So there is not enough room on the current (D:) drive to transfer my "old" stuff too. I did purchase a 64GB flash drive for this purpose, so it appears I have to use it.

Even if I had room on the (D:) drive to transfer my files, I have no clue how to do that? Know of a tutorial link to do that?

Boot from DVD or USB pendrive depending on your posibilities.

R.  I have the Win 7 Pro Upgrade version on CD's. I do have a downloaded ISO file of Win 7/64 bit OS, that could be put on a flash drive. But I think the Win 7 CD install would be easier for me, as it practically auto-installs itself.

When you get to the point to select the type of install, go with the Custom (advanced) install NOT Upgrade.

R. Microsoft uses the word "custom", seems everyone else uses the word "clean install". But to me they mean the same...clean/custom install.

On the screen to select the partition click on the Drive options (advanced) button to reveal some options/buttons than click on C:\ partition to select it and click Delete button, the space becomes Unallocated. If there is a small partition before it in that list delete it too so you left with Unnalocated space followed by D:\ partition in that list. DO NOT Delete D:\ partition.

R. I presume here you are referring to partitioning my current drive, not the new drive, correct?

Thanks again.

Ok, back to square one...

You don't need the external drive for this. You can do what you want with it, keep it or send it back for a refund if applicable.

You can't use Win 7 Pro Upgrade to do a clean install. It can be used only as the name tells: Upgrade (from Vista). That means you have to have Vista installed up and running than use the disc to upgrade to Win 7 Pro.

You can download an ISO directly from Digital River (Microsoft service provider for e-commerce) http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

Remember this are legit Microsoft ISO's with 30 days trial. You need to own a legit key for activating Windows 7 past 30 days.

Take out the old HDD and install the new HDD.

Boot from disc to install the OS. On the Unnalocated Space create one partition of 50 GB. A partition of 100 MB will be created automaticaly. Go on than and slice the unnalocated space left in how many partitions you want.

Select the 50 GB partition to continue install. After the system is up and running visit Windows Update page to patch the system to latest updates. Install your programs and the antivirus.

You need to format the new partitions (other than C:\) created at install since they are in RAW format. Shutdown the computer and reconnect the old drive. Make sure to have set the correct HDD priority in BIOS to boot from the new system.

Copy all your files needed to the new drive.

Read again #5 to try reabilitate the old drive.

You don't need the external drive for this.

R. This I understood a post or two back.

You can't use Win 7 Pro Upgrade to do a clean install. It can be used only as the name tells: Upgrade (from Vista). That means you have to have Vista installed up and running than use the disc to upgrade to Win 7 Pro.

R. Normally, a Upgrade refers to upgrading to a same bit OS. For instance, I could upgrade from Vista 32 bit to Win 7 32 bit. But going from 32 bit to 64 bit, requires a clean install of an Upgrade Version. See:

Yes, you can do a clean install from a upgrade Windows 7 version. smile.gif
NOTE: See this tutorial for how: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

You can download an ISO directly from Digital River (Microsoft service provider for e-commerce) http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

R. As I stated in my previous post.

Select the 50 GB partition to continue install.

R. So here you are saying create a separate 50GB partition just for the Win 7 OS, correct?

Shutdown the computer and reconnect the old drive.

R. Can you explain why you want me reconnect the old drive? After installing the new drive and OS?

Make sure to have set the correct HDD priority in BIOS to boot from the new system.

R. I presume here the Windows 7 installer will show this page and ask me to choose from a list?

Read again #5 to try reabilitate the old drive.

R. If I decide to do this, does it matter if I do it before or after the new Win 7 install?

Thanks again.

So here you are saying create a separate 50GB partition just for the Win 7 OS, correct?

Yes. Dedicated OS partition.

Can you explain why you want me reconnect the old drive? After installing the new drive and OS?

So you can get back your files from the old drive simple and easy by copy/move.

Follow this procedure: Take out old drive > Install the new drive > Install OS > Reaconnect old drive > Transfer your saved files > Try reabilitete the old drive.

I presume here the Windows 7 installer will show this page and ask me to choose from a list?

If you are installing with both drives connected (whithout format the old OS) chances are you'll get a dual boot or the new Windows will be installed in other partition rather than C:\ (since this is already taken). You'll ruin your install than if you format the old drive.

Having a single disc with OS installed, Windows will boot from the first bootable source. You need to set the new drive as First boot priority because if you reconnect the old drive as is (if you not format the old OS partition) you'll have two HDD and two bootable sources, one on each drive. Chances are to boot from the old drive if not correctly set the boot priority.

If I decide to do this, does it matter if I do it before or after the new Win 7 install?

I highly recommend to install the new OS and do all the things you need from the new OS. Consider the old drive the safe place for your files till you get a healthy system.

Thanks again, appreciate your answers.

So you can get back your files from the old drive simple and easy by copy/move.

R. Here did you mean copy/paste?

Follow this procedure: Take out old drive > Install the new drive > Install OS > Reaconnect old drive > Transfer your saved files > Try to rehablitate the old drive.

R. When I get to reconnecting the old drive, I presume you mean: Connect the old HDD via a cable to a USB port to transfer my old Vista (D:) DATA partion files via drag & drop or copy & paste, to my newly created Win 7 (D:) partition on my new HDD, yes?

You need to set the new drive as First boot priority.

R. That is my intention....to install Win 7/64 bit to replace the Vista 32 bit OS.

Consider the old drive the safe place for your files till you get a healthy system.

R. More or less an external drive once out of computer and connected to a USB port.

Thanks again for your answers. Maybe I will have a fnclue sooner or later.

Edited by nofnclue

I meant literally copy OR move.

Why bother connecting it as external? Don't you have any internal spare ports on the moterboard? You can have as many drives as many ports you have available. I have 8 (eight) internal drives connected. 

As I said earlier, with just 4 bad blocks the drive isn't for throw away, you can try reabilitate it and use it as second internal drive for data.

Why bother connecting it as external?

R. Didn't know what you meant when you used the word "reconnect the old hard drive"? So I could only presume what you meant? And why I asked you what you meant? If I do repair the bad sectors in the old hard drive, then the logical move for me would be to use it as an external backup drive. Then I wouldn't need the new Backup Plus that I still have. Or I could use the Backup Plus with the new OS that would allow the control panel to now install. Whereas it would not with the Vista OS. So haven't made up my mind yet what to do with the Backup Plus drive?

Don't you have any internal spare ports on the moterboard?

R. Don't know how to answer this question? Spare ports for ...?

You can have as many drives as many ports you have available. I have 8 (eight) internal drives connected.

R. Ditto, I have no clue what you mean here? Not sure if you are referring to hard drives or partitions on a HDD? I've heard of 2 discs in one hard drive enclosure, but 8...? So not sure what you mean here? If you are asking me if I have room for or a slot for another HDD? The answer would be no I don't.

Why do you have or need 8 internal drives? Must be a desktop?

Thanks again.

Edited by nofnclue

Oh, you are talking that you have a laptop?  :doh:  I didn't notice where you specified that. Did you? :search:

Yes, I'm talking about desktop computer. :victory:

The situation changes than.

Presuming the HDD have SATA generation connection, you'll need an SATA to USB adaptor to transfer the files from the old to the new drive in the end.

Or, ask a friend who own a desktop to connect it internal to the desktop and use the Backup Plus you still have.

Yes l have a laptop. It doesn't appear I mentioned laptop. It helps to have a computer specs box posted somewhere under your username, so there's no guesswork.

Or, ask a friend who own a desktop to connect it internal to the desktop and use the Backup Plus you still have.

R. I presume this sentence is suggesting to get my old data from my old HDD onto the Backup Plus?

Appears I can just follow the prior suggestions: take out the old HDD > replace with new HDD > install the new OS > apply any updates and whatever else is needed to complete the new OS install > then plug my old HDD via a SATA cable with a USB connection to my laptop and transfer my old data to the new drive. Agree with this?

Question here: Will the USB port suffice as a power supply for the old HDD to transfer data off of it? Or do I need an empty external HDD enclosure to put the HDD into and then plug it into a 110 Volt source to do the data transfer?

My new HDD has 750GB. I understand the 50GB dedicated just for the OS on the (C:) partition.

Question: How would you split up the rest of the remaining 700GB? Put all my data on a (D:) partition, and have just the two C and D drives? Or make several partitions?

Once I get the new HDD and OS installed and running it would be a good time to do a whole system image, and make a system copy to CD's

Thanks again.

Edited by nofnclue

It's the easiest method with the adapter. It draws enough power from two USB ports, it looks like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-USB-2-0-to-SATA-15-7-Pin-Data-and-Power-Cable-Adapter-For-2-5-inch-HDD-SSD-/370674469363

You can make the OS partition larger if you intend to install a lot of programs or large programs (usually video editing programs or any other creative/production programs use a lot of space for the installs). 50 GB is enough for general user.

For he rest of the space think about it like a house. You want a kitchen (OS partition) and a big room (Data partition) or you need more smaller rooms for better organization? You decide.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.