Change in behavior of "Lock Volume - Exclusive Access" in 2.1?

fordman

I've kept the same setting as in 2.0.0.0, including "Lock Volume - Exclusive Access" in the write options.

However, unlike with 2.0.0.0, as soon as the DVD is finished being burned and verified, the windows autorun kicks in and presents the menu offering to play it with a selection of programs. With 2.0.0.0, the ImgBurn "finished" dialog would show and that was it. I would press OK and then close ImgBurn. The autorun dialog would never pop up.

Has this been changed in 2.1.0.0 to only lock through the burn and verify cycles? I couldn't find this covered in the 2.1.0.0 release notes, and am curious. I'm also wondering if this isn't perhaps another manifestation of the "Unable to lock drive - access denied" error that others are reporting?

Ford Man

Yes and no! It's not the locking stuff, that's different and hasn't been changed, it's the media change notification stuff.

It is a change in v2.1.0.0 because windows never saw the new disc content once the burn had finished.

I was getting too many 'explorer won't read my burn discs' support issues so I decided to give explorer more of a chance to refresh the drive.

Changed: All the 'Media Control Notification' stuff has been rejigged so that windows can detect when the media/media content has been changed if the program isn't doing anything important like burning/erasing etc

Yes and no! It's not the locking stuff, that's different and hasn't been changed, it's the media change notification stuff.

It is a change in v2.1.0.0 because windows never saw the new disc content once the burn had finished.

I was getting too many 'explorer won't read my burn discs' support issues so I decided to give explorer more of a chance to refresh the drive.

Changed: All the 'Media Control Notification' stuff has been rejigged so that windows can detect when the media/media content has been changed if the program isn't doing anything important like burning/erasing etc

Thanks so much - I do now recall reading the media change notification thread now.

I need to look further into this. I had disabled autoinsert notification on my home PC years ago on the advice of several recording programs, and it has apparently also helped prevent getting some nasty audio CD protection software installed on my PC, but I'm now having issues with an external (firewire) Plextor PX-740A drive seeing new discs when inserted. I need to power the drive down and back up for it to see the new disc. I cannot recall how I diabled it way back then...maybe with one of those "TweakUI" utilities.

TweakUI can do it easily. Also the is a registry entry you can do, if you like to do it this way:

HKLM/System/CCS/Services/CDRom and change autoplay from 1 to 0 (to disable). Reboot. See KB 330135.

But I think ImgBurn can also turn this off for you.

Regards

TweakUI can do it easily. Also the is a registry entry you can do, if you like to do it this way:

HKLM/System/CCS/Services/CDRom and change autoplay from 1 to 0 (to disable). Reboot. See KB 330135.

But I think ImgBurn can also turn this off for you.

Regards

Strange, I've looked there and AutoRun is set to 1, so it SHOULD be enabled....

Also TweakNow Powerpack shows that autorun is NOT disabled. I apparently don't have a TweakUI for Windows XP installed, as it's not in the control panel.

Any other ideas why my drives will not autorun, or where I can go in windows to re-enable it? Could it be that virtual drives or recording software have it disabled? Actually, I think if I mount a virtual drive, and the image has autorun info, it will run that, just not the physical discs that I'm inserting.

Thanks,

Ford Man

You can get it here. ;)

Thanks. I tried to install TweakUI, but it says that I must install my current version before installing and only allows me to exit. I'll have to find it manually, and the applet isn't showing up in Control Panel. However, since it likely only makes the necessary changes to the registry, and it appears that my registry already has it enabled, I dont' expect TweakUI will make a difference.

There are loads of places you can mess around with for Autorun stuff.

ImgBurn can control the major one which is a single value for all drives.

Then there's a DWORD value where each bit represents a drive letter. I believe there's another to enable/disable on certain drive types.

Then theres an autoplay data cd/dvd and autoplay audio cd/dvd option too.

I'm sure google could help you find all the keys you need.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.