It is NOT recommended to use DVD-R DL Discs for Video.

PyroM

Hi there,

I know, this is not a DVD-authoring or a general DVD maker forum but I found this sentence in the guide of cornholio7 -> Creating a double layer ISO on your hard drive using ImgBurn

Why not, please? Because it cannot be set to booktype DVD-ROM or what else? I have no clue and just want to clearify here. I favorite DVD-R for all my selfmade videos, I always used Ritek G04 4x or TY 8x only. I need most compatible DVD video disks and the question is now: why not DVD-R DL

Thanks a lot,

yours

Pyro

Why not, please? Because it cannot be set to booktype DVD-ROM or what else?

Because they're garbage? At least the ones I've burned have been. Verbatim DVD-R DL consistantly failed. Verbatim DVD+R DL consistantly work. When they're both $6 each, I know which one I prefer. :)

Ok, this is an argument ;)

So it's not a matter of compatibility with standalone players?! IF they would burn fine, then everything would be ok with DVD-R DL.

But I was confused because of the end of the sentence "for Video.". I would have expected "DVD-R DL are garbage in all means" or so...

Thanks for your input!

The layer break (switch) position on DVD-R DL media is fixed, on DVD+R DL media you can move it around.

So unless your DL image was originally built with a layerbreak at EXACTLY the same point the fixed DVD-R DL one is at, you'll never get a proper burn.

When the physical layerbreak position doesn't match the IFO files properly, some players will just hang / crash etc.

If you can move the physical layerbreak position on the media (as is the case with DVD+R DL), this clearly isn't an issue.

The layer break (switch) position on DVD-R DL media is fixed, on DVD+R DL media you can move it around.

So unless your DL image was originally built with a layerbreak at EXACTLY the same point the fixed DVD-R DL one is at, you'll never get a proper burn.

Can't ImgBurn pad the files in Build Mode, so the layer break lines up properly?

Or is that not allowed on DVD-R DL? You still might not get a suitable cell, given

the fixed layer break, but it would be more likely. Right?

Why not, please? Because it cannot be set to booktype DVD-ROM or what else? I have no clue and just want to clearify here. I favorite DVD-R for all my selfmade videos, I always used Ritek G04 4x or TY 8x only. I need most compatible DVD video disks and the question is now: why not DVD-R DL.

Compatibility is the biggest problem with DVD-R DL. Reviews by CD Freaks and

others have shown very low compatibilty, like 25% of DVD+R DL. Many players

won't recognize the discs. DVD+R with DVD-ROM book type is much more likely

to be recognized and played without problems. Also, the errors rates tend to be

higher with DVD-R DL media. If you want good burns, best to stay away. There

is no advantage to DVD-R DL and a lot of drawbacks.

Yes, it can and it does... but that's only if you use ImgBurn.

If you're burning an image from another util, obviously that doesn't even come into it - and I was speaking generally about DVD-R DL media, not DVD-R DL media AND ImgBurn.

That's what I thought. Also, if you're burning an image in general, it wouldn't

come into play. Only build mode would have that option. Why would anybody

here not use ImgBurn now? They would be silly not to.

Thank you very much, these reasons are very well understandable. So, I won't ask further and use DVD+R DL with booktype set to DVD-ROM to be on the safe side. And will use ImgBurn of course ;)

Thanks a lot!

Edited by PyroM

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.