am I supposed to leave UDF at 1.02 for burning BD-R with data?

Carla_Boots

You can use what you like. 1.02 is the most compatible but 2.50+ provide extra protection against file system corruption (and therefore data loss) as a result of scratches etc.

ImgBurn's default UDF setting is 1.02.  I'm guessing this is for compatibility?  

I will only use the burned data-only(non-video) BD-R for my own archive on the PCs in my home.(two WinXP, one Win7, one Win8)   For maximum file protection, I should burn the BD-Rs at the highest UDF setting, is this correct?  (2.50, 2.60....)

Thanks! :)

Yes, it defaults to ISO9660 + UDF (1.02) because it's the most compatible and that's what a typical DVD Video disc uses - I guess that was its primary function at the time.

XP can't read (understand) UDF 2.50 or 2.60 without a 3rd party driver.

The extra bits in 2.50 and 2.60 only creates backups (mirror copies) of the data that UDF readers use to figure out which files are on the disc and where they are (various file system descriptors). The main copy is usually before all of the file data (i.e. at the start of the disc) and the mirror copy is then located after all of the file data (i.e. at the end of the disc). The actual file data is only ever stored once - so once that's damaged, it's damaged.

I'm sure there will be a comparison chart between the various versions of UDF on the web somewhere. Have a search and see if you can find such a thing if you want more info.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.