Sectors (media type) and file system for CD-iso's?

PyroM

Hi there,

did not found the answer in guides, faq and after searching. Probably I am blind:

When creating an CD-ISO with ImgBurn, what media type do I choose? CD-ROM is not listed, so I choose "Custom" - but how many sectors does a normal 700MB CD-ROM have?

What file system I should choose for normal data CD-ROMs? In the guides for DVD-Video "ISO9660+UDF" is recommended. Is "ISO9660+Joliet" fine for CD-ROMs?

Thanks for your answers,

Pyro

Yes, ISO9660 + Joliet is fine for your everyday file backups onto CD.

I switched my data CD burning to ISO9660 only, and changed ISO9660 restrictions to "Level X - 219 Characters" to handle MP3 files with really long file names. I found that when I had ISO9660+Joliet, enabled, Windows would show filenames truncated after 110 characters (apparently the max for Joliet, and I had that option selected).

The solution was to use ISO9660 only, Level X, and to "Allow Full ASCII Character Set." This seems to allow Joliet style filenames all the way up to 219 characters.

Are there any drawbacks to this approach? Perhaps it would not be recognized on much older operating systems?

Edited by fordman

You may have been better off using just UDF rather than breaking all the ISO9660 restrictions.

Yes, you're right of course. I sometimes forget that UDF is a fine system for CDs, even without the use of packet writing! And since your implementation supports 255 character filenames, that's even better!

I must admit that I haven't researched Unicode much either....need to look into that.

Thanks for the better suggestion.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.