Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
almodovaris

Glitch in search rpc1.org for firmware

Recommended Posts

I have the following problem with ImgBurn 2.1.0.0:

 

I have on a computer a NEC ND-3520A firmware 2.U5. The problem is that when I search for firmware with ImgBurn, it searches rpc1.org for the drive ND3520AW. That is indeed the full hardware name, but it fails to find any result, because in the rpc1.org database, that drive is listed as ND-3520A, not as ND-3520AW !!!

 

So, I think that is a minor bug, but it is worth considering in writing further versions of ImgBurn. Besides one may consider that for NEC and Optiarc drives, a link to http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/ should be mentioned, because Liggy and Dee write wonderful firmwares for NEC and Optiarc drives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is something I have been meaning to suggest. We pass the name exactly as it is and oftentimes rpc1 can't find it.

 

I was going to propose that we pass part of the name to RPC1 - whenever I look something up, I just type in the numbers. There must be a way of implementing wildcard lookup that can cater for this.

 

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually it's not *exactly* as is.... I remove stuff like DVD+RW, DVDRW etc from the string.

 

So really it's just make + model number.

 

Normally when I search for drives going by what people have posted I just use the model number. Perhaps I should switch to that within the program too. It's been so long since it was implemented I'd kinda just forgotten all about it - it's such a minor thing (although very useful!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried all that with the database, none of it works consistently

 

 

and I have done a lot of these last few months

Edited by chewy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I've also tried some ways to think of "automating" searches based on what drives can return versus what rpc1 has in its database. While there's no one to "blame," rpc1's database, with how some, but not all, of its entries are designed, are to, well, blame. :) Because of this little bit of incosistency (CONSISTENCY, people! CONSISTENCY!) it makes it really impossible to do anything beyond what we have at the moment. But, at least, the site is opened with the drive ID string already entered, so, there's 2 steps you don't have to do. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"So, I think that is a minor bug, but it is worth considering in writing further versions of ImgBurn. "

 

I dont see how thats a minor bug in IMGburn .It just takes you to the firmware site, after you attempt to update your firmware does IMGburn correctly identify what firmware you have on your drive and if it does so correctly then its really RPC1's job to have the firmware in its database for the exact drive you have its really not IMGburns problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.