are these 2 formats(bin and img) suitable for making images for all kinds of discs?

hn4n

as i have heard in the past that iso format is not suitable for making images for all kinds of discs,for example,it's not suitable to make a image of a audio cd with iso format.how about the other 2 formats avaliable with imgburn(bin and img)?are these 2 formats(bin and img) suitable for making images for all kinds of discs?

thank u,

Edited by hn4n

Like I said, it's just a file extension.

You could name the file 'image.toliet' if you so wish.

The point being, DVDs only have 2048 bytes per sector. That's all it's ever going to end up as in an image file... no matter which file extension you give it.

For CDs, you can tell a drive to return 2352 bytes per sector or to return 2048 bytes per sector (assuming you're reading a track that supports it - i.e. Mode 1 or Mode 2/Form 1).

Single session/track Mode 1 CDs are fine to be saved as 2048 bytes per sector ISO images. For all other CDs, you should use the BIN+CUE format. The program does this stuff automatically so just let it do its job and don't worry about it.

first of all, i have to appologize for starting so many new  topics and acting like trying to take over the entire first page of the forum for advertising.but i do have a lot of questions for u ,as i want to make advertisements for your product to the people around me.i just feel confused about which file type should i choose to keep the image file with when i trying to make a image of a disc with imgburn.there are 4 choices listed :"bin files","img files","iso files" and "all files".and as i have heard the choice "iso file" is not suitable for all kinds of discs.how about the other 3 kinds of choices,are they all suitable for making images for all kinds of discs?

thank u,

Like I said, ImgBurn defaults to picking the right file type for the disc you've inserted when it automatically generates the destination file name.

Just let it do its thing.

If you really must mess around with it, use BIN for CDs and ISO for everything else. You can't really go wrong with that.

'All Files' just makes the box display all file types... not just those with the selected file extension (be it .bin, .img, .iso etc). It isn't an actual file type itself.

Like I said, ImgBurn defaults to picking the right file type for the disc you've inserted when it automatically generates the destination file name.

If you really must mess around with it, use BIN for CDs and ISO for everything else. You can't really go wrong with that.

'All Files' just makes the box display all file types... not just those with the selected file extension (be it .bin, .img, .iso etc). It isn't an actual file type itself.

do u mean the "img files" choice is of no use at all???u taught me that img file is just a file extension not really a format.but as i have heard before the img format is created by clonecd while nrg format is created by nero.futhermore,u said that i could not really go wroung with these file types.well,according to my using experience,imgburn only warns me from making image of a audio cd with iso format,but never stops me from making a image of a dvd disc with bin+cue format,also never stops me from making a image of a disc with img format.why?

here is the log about how i creat a image of a dvd disc with bin+cue format successfully:

I 16:50:39 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 16:50:39 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7601 : Service Pack 1)
I 16:50:39 Total Physical Memory: 8,125,688 KiB  -  Available: 5,108,820 KiB
W 16:50:39 Duplex Secure's SPTD driver can have a detrimental effect on drive performance.
I 16:50:39 Initialising SPTI...
I 16:50:39 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 16:50:40 -> Drive 1 - Info: ATAPI iHAS524   B AL28 (G:) (ATA)
I 16:50:40 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM!
I 16:51:03 Operation Started!
I 16:51:03 Source Device: [0:0:0] ATAPI iHAS524   B AL28 (G:) (ATA)
I 16:51:03 Source Media Type: DVD-R (Book Type: DVD-R) (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AM3)
I 16:51:03 Source Media Supported Read Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x
I 16:51:03 Source Media Supported Write Speeds: 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x
I 16:51:03 Source Media Sectors: 28,528 (Track Path: PTP)
I 16:51:03 Source Media Size: 58,425,344 bytes
I 16:51:03 Source Media Volume Identifier: Downloads
I 16:51:03 Source Media Volume Set Identifier: 4383BF3600006F6D
I 16:51:03 Source Media Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.5.8.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!
I 16:51:03 Source Media Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn
I 16:51:03 Source Media File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
I 16:51:03 Read Speed (Data/Audio): MAX / 8x
I 16:51:03 Destination File: F:\1\dfg.bin
I 16:51:03 Destination Free Space: 273,118,912,512 Bytes (266,717,688.00 KiB) (260,466.49 MiB) (254.36 GiB)
I 16:51:03 Destination File System: NTFS
I 16:51:03 File Splitting: Auto
I 16:51:04 Read Speed - Effective: 6.4x - 16x
I 16:51:05 Reading Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 28527)
I 16:51:05 Reading Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 28527)
I 16:51:14 Exporting Graph Data...
I 16:51:14 Graph Data File: C:\Users\c\AppData\Roaming\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\ATAPI_iHAS524_B_AL28_2013年12月4日_16-51_CMC_MAG._AM3.ibg
I 16:51:14 Export Successfully Completed!
I 16:51:14 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:10
I 16:51:14 Average Read Rate: 5,705 KiB/s (4.2x) - Maximum Read Rate: 9,034 KiB/s (6.7x)

img and bin are basically the same thing.

They typically contain CD 2352 byte sectors and are just raw dumps of the disc. It's the CUE / CCD files that go along with them that make them work for certain programs.

ISO is / should be reserved for 2048 byte sectors - it's *far* more common and better suited to basic data CDs and all DVD/HD DVD/BD discs.

I never said the program would stop you from giving your DVD image file the .bin extension, what you name your file is down to you. It only tries to stop you when (as you said), you try and save a multi session / track CD (i.e. an Audio CD) with the .ISO file extension... because that'll never work on its own, you *need* a CUE/CCD file to go with it.

do u mean it would also work fine for me to give my dvd image file the bin.extention,since imgburn software never stop me from doing that?????if so,why u told me in the past that i could not really go wroung with that?

*sigh* 12 posts of me repeating myself and us not getting anywhere.

It's just a file extension. It doesn't matter if you name it image.bin or image.iso, when reading a DVD/HD DVD/BD disc you'll end up with identical files.

Why can't you just let the program pick the correct one? That's assuming the 'Default Destination' setting for 'Read' mode is left on 'Automatic'. Why must you mess around with things you don't understand?!

For CDs, the program defaults to/use .ISO when reading a single session/track disc with a Mode 1 data track. For all other CDs it'll default to/use .BIN.

For DVD/HD DVD/BD it'll default to/use .ISO.

I won't repeat that again - especially as it appears to be going in one ear and out of the other.

Take my advice or do whatever you want to do.

well,your last post made me found out the great misunderstanding between i and u.i think the reason of the misunderstanding is my using experience of some other burning softwares,like ashampoo and nero.when i use nero to make a image of a disc,if i choose  nrg/iso as the file extension,the nero would creat a image of the disc with nrg /iso format.and when i use ashampoo to make a image of a disc,if i choose bin+cue/iso as the file extension,the ashampoo would creat a image of the disc with bin+cue/iso format.however,it's not the case at imgburn.according to the defaut settings of imgburn,for multi tracks/sessions cds,no matter which file extension i choose,imgburn would creat the same image with bin+cue format even with different file extensions,and for all the other discs imgburn would creat the same image with iso format also even with different file extensions.you said that i could not really go wroung with that.it in fact means i could not go wroung with the real format of the image but only go wroung with the file extensions of the image files,right?in a word,file extension does not equal format at imgburn,while file extension equals format when i use ashampoo or nero to make a image of a disc.if so,why you show us so many different file extensions for choosing during the process of creating image file from a disc to make us misunderstand ?

thank u,

before i found this forum,i have also read a lot of articles to introduce how to use imgburn on the internet.they all say that imgburn can be used to make images for discs conveniently with all those 4 formats(iso format,bin+cue format,img format,and wav format).i guess it's because they found  there are 4 choices of file extensions  there when they try to make a image of a disc.i just can not understand,if imgburn can automatically choose the right file types of images for different kinds of discs,why u still provide us these 4 file etensions for choice, it's absolutely of no use at all but only  confusing people?

thank u,

Edited by hn4n

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.