VirtualDub compatible convertor

dbminter

I need some freeware utility that will convert Windows codec container files into .AVI or some format that VirtualDub can edit.

I need it to convert the source file into a VirtualDub compatible file that will convert without loss of video quality.

Can anyone recommend such a thing?  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, Avidemux just doesn't work.

I knew something was up when the slider wouldn't move.  I tried using the mouse to move it to the end of the video clip because I needed to trim out Freemake's stupid logo that they add to the end of their clips in Video Convertor.  But, the slider wouldn't move.  So, tried some of the buttons at the bottom.  Discovered one that advances the slider by 25 seconds.  So, I thought I'd just use it to advance to the end of the clip and use the individual frames button to go back.  Avidemux just started Not responding for a while but finally made it to the end.

However, this tool is NOT for video editing.  You need to be able to move the slider with the mouse to move to different positions within the video.  Jumping by 25 seconds at a time and then advancing back frame by frame just doesn't cut it.  :angry:

As I understand Avidemux will use I-frames to cut so it's not what you want as it's not frame accurate when you are not reencoding. (SmartCopy)

I think you should insist with Virtualdub and AviSynth, just need to fiind the correct filter that allows you to work with your file.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, it's no good.  :rolleyes:  I loaded a different test file and it just displays a blank screen where there should be video.  So, while you can edit the file you have to know the EXACT time to start and end, which means using an external app to view it.  Too complicated and much work for an application that should do it itself.  :angry:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.