IMG BURN LATEST VERSION

jameson

I`ve got version 2.5.8.0 on my computer, is that the latest version?

Also i recently found that IMG BURN requires Dvd+RW (Verbatim) to be formatted/erased. I use Taiyo Yuden Dvd-r and other Dvd RW frequently and don`t experience the formatting. I thought it strange that new discs have to be erased, and the process is cumbersome. I also read that later versions of IMG BURN don`t require this. Could you advise please?

Edited by jameson

2580 is the latest, there is no newer version. It first matter what brand the DVD+RW is, it's just that not all rw's come preformatted. Is nothing unusual, and especially not for dvd-r single use discs. They simply cannot be formatted. As far as later version advise is, will there is no advise as there is no later version, I don't know where you read that but there info is false.

The formatting thing is a drive / media requirement. If you try to issue 'write' commands to a drive containing an un formatted DVD+RW disc, the drive will just error out saying it hasn't been formatted.

ImgBurn takes care of the formatting process automatically and the discs should only need formatting once. After that, you can just overwrite whatever's on them.

The formatting thing is a drive / media requirement. If you try to issue 'write' commands to a drive containing an un formatted DVD+RW disc, the drive will just error out saying it hasn't been formatted. ImgBurn takes care of the formatting process automatically and the discs should only need formatting once. After that, you can just overwrite whatever's on them.

yes, but i use Dvd-r and Dvd-rw regularly and have no problem with formatting on them.  Dvd+ is the problem.

Wait, you're saying that either DVD-RW or DVD+RW don't need to be formatted?  I thought I had to format both of them before in the past.

Also, why don't they ship rewritable discs formatted?  Floppies eventually were shipped formatted because it was such an annoyance to format them ourselves.  :)

I did not know that.  :D  It's been so long since I've needed to format one, probably not one new in 10 years, I never noticed it before.  I mostly use +RW.  I did have to format a -RW recently only because my LG Blu-Ray burner doesn't write to them correctly.  When VIDEO_TS is burned to them in it, my Panasonic DVD recorder can't use them again until they are fully formatted in one of my LiteOn drives.  So, that format, a full one, was the last time I can consciously recall ever formatting one.  So, you're right.  :lol:

No, it's how the DVD+RW disc format works.

Like I said, a new DVD+RW needs formatting before the drive will accept any 'write' commands. It's probably why DVD+RW support 'direct overwrite' and DVD-RW discs need to be erased before you can write to them again.

If you send a 'write' command to the drive and an unformatted disc is in it, it'll just error out and say the disc hasn't been formatted.

ImgBurn always tells you exactly what it's doing... that's how I like it. Other software may not mention there's an unformatted disc in the drive and just format it in the background... but that doesn't mean they don't also need to send the 'format' command before sending any 'write' ones.

Yeah, it's been so long since I had a new DVD-RW, I wouldn't remember if it needed an erase or not.  :)  But, it makes sense that a new one wouldn't as there's nothing on it yet.

There was nothing on the new Dvd+rw i bought but when using them to burn it says must be formatted and then erasing takes place even though there`s supposed to be nothing on them. Cd burner xp won`t have them but will do Dvd-r as will Img burn without formatting. I`ve yet to get some dvd-rw and try them. Using the + one`s is cumbersome and takes a long time. Strange. :whatever:

post-31320-0-37616000-1389822534_thumb.jpg

Edited by jameson

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.