Write access requested from drive when extracting boot image

deed02392

I am in a corporate environment which prevents write access to disc drives from userland unless you're using endpoint security software to encrypt the data before it gets written.

This still allows full read access to removable media however, but it seems the implementation for extracting the boot image requests write access?

I suspect the issue lies in attempting to open the device with write permissions, but hopefully this is a bug because I don't see why write permissions are necessary to extract the boot image.

Note I tried this on both a physical device and a virtual one.

OmeFPDn.png

Update: I was able to perform a boot image extraction using BPIE (by Bart of BART-PE fame). It only gave me a 2K image though whereas I'm sure Imgburn offers larger images... still, it confirms it should be possible to extract a boot image on my system without causing a write denied error.

I'll do some testing and change the way it opens the volume when extracting the boot image if it works ok for all OS.

You're lucky the program works at all really as I could also be opening devices (for all I/O) via their drive letters and SPTI requires read and write access.

Your enterprise protection must only work at a certain level or something.

Yeah I'm afraid I can't advise on how it specifically affects peripheral access and/or where it inserts itself in the HAL (I presume?) but I could essentially use every feature other than boot image extraction, even fully reading and creating an ISO from a disc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.