Format a new BD-RE DL disc

Bob Yang

This is a great program.

Used it to format a couple of new TDK BD-RE DL disks. Each one took 3 hours & 15 minuets to fully erase/format. I disabled "prefer format without spare area", "prefer format with full certification" & "verity" before process.

Is over 3 hours a normal formatting time? or I missed something?

I've never dealt with BD-RE DL before; I can only go by my experience with BD-RE.

I didn't change any of the default options for a full erase/format and I think it takes like 30 to 45 minutes to do it.  3 hours sounds a little long to me, but there's nothing that says a BD-RE DL has to format at only exactly twice as long as a BD-RE, even though it's only just twice as much space.

If you're formatting with spare areas enabled, the drive will be verifying as it burns... Or in this case, as the programs writes zeros to each sector. That'll be slowing it down a lot.

For a really fast format, you also need to disable the 'prefer properly formatted discs' (or whatever it's called) too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I received and formatted by Verbatim BD-RE DL in my Pioneer Blu-Ray rewritable drive.  It took Total Duration: 01:34:22.

Now, depending on what you changed in the settings, I could see it taking twice as long as it did for me as it did for you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.