How do you take a DOS .exe and make it a bootable CD?

Erick_ImgBurn

I need to run a DOS hard disk diagnostics tool. The problem is the manufacturer doesn't provide a simple .ISO. Instead, I'm given a DOS executable. I need to know how do I take this .exe and using ImgBurn make a CD that boots and runs the tool? I couldn't find a clear answer anywhere on the Internet. Thank you.

It isn't exactly simple to do.

You'd be better off finding a boot cd that's already got the tool on it. I'm sure it'll be on Hiren's boot cd or the ultimate boot cd.

I'm up for the challenge. Please explain how to do it. I want to learn. This way I can help others with this difficult issue. Thanks, Lightning.

You need a bootable floppy disc image or an actual bootable floppy disc that you can then take an image of.

The boot image needs to be one that loads DOS drivers for your optical drive - unless you can add the hdd diag program to the bootable floppy disc (before you take an image of it) / image (if you can edit it in the likes of WinImage)... and that would depend on the size of the diag program and how much free space there is.

Then you add the diag tool exe to the 'Source' box on the left of the ImgBurn's Build mode screen and add the boot image to the 'Advanced' -> 'Bootable Disc' tab. Then burn it. Use a rewritable disc as it probably won't work correctly the first time ;)

Personally I'd go with Hiren's Boot CD / Ultimate Boot CD or a bootable USB stick!

I'm sure there are lots of things you could do, but you asked about making a bootable CD.

I don't know if dldiag5 would run within Windows PE, that's something you'd have to test for yourself.

I know, and thanks for that info, even though I don't understand it. I just checked. Windows PE doesn't have 16-bit DOS support, so forget my idea.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.