Unable to find any cells that could be used for the layer break

X-Fe@R

Good day everyone!

I'm pretty new to this software imgBurn, but so far, it looks great. I've been using DVDDecrypter for so long and I didn't know ImgBurn was made by Lighting UK, the same guy!!! I'm using this one to burn DVD5 all the time now and it works great.

Until today, I had never burnt a dual layer with my LG GSA-4163B. I had a movie I wanted to make a backup copy and I didn't want to compress it as the movie is already pretty long and the bitrate is already low enough. So, I went to buy dual layer DVD+R. There was a sale at my store where I could get a 25 pack of Philips DVD+R DL for about 40$, not sure what they are worth because I normally use Ritek DVD-R (DVD5). I keep hearing you guys mentionning Verbatim, but at the price, I didn't complain.

Anyway, back on the subject. I've copied the content of the DVD onto my hard drive with DVD Decrypter and tried to burn it with ImgBurn. I've tried to make an ISO first. For the layer break, I had 3 choices with average (SPLIP at YES) and no PGC at 1 (only 54 with the 3 choices). I chose one and built it. So far, so good.

When I try to burn my ISO loading the MD5 file, I get this error:

"Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None found! (VTS_02)

This image has not been mastered correctly for burning onto a double layer (OTP Track Path) disc.

None of the cells meet the "DVD-Video specification" criteria for a potential layer break position.

Do you want to continue"

At this point, I always say no 'cause I'm too chicken to make a coaster... it's not like wasting a DVD5, there is a big difference in the price to me. ;)

So, I read all your guides and decided to use a different way of burning it according to a thread I read. I go into "Build" mode and set the output to "Device". I calculate and get this error:

"Unable to find any cells that could be used for the layer break!

Now would be a good time to start crying, because technically, this is the end of the world.

Do you want to continue anyway"

So far, I haven't clicked yes because I'm way to scared to waste a DL. I've searched the whole forum but I haven't seen any thread (or maybe my search was too poor?) about this unless it was on previous versions (1.0). I'm lost of what to do, should I go ahead and burn it anyway? Will this make it unplayable in my player? Is there any way to burn it? I don't understand how it could work on the original and not this one.

Just in case it would be of any interest, the movie I'm trying to backup is "Caligula". Not sure if the DVD was already problematic or it's just the way I'm doing it. I've tried many ways and still nothing has worked.

Thanks for helping me in advance. Even though I'm new here, I've done my part of the searching and unfortunately, I wasn't able to resolve this. Hoping someone might have an idea. ;) Thanks a lot!

PS: If you're missing any information or need more details, let me know!

[EDIT] I've added the logs of the 2 steps I'm doing in case it would help you out. If you need anymore details, don't hesitate.

I 20:42:50 ImgBurn Version 2.1.0.0 started!

I 20:42:50 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 20:42:53 Initialising SPTI...

I 20:42:53 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:42:53 Found 1 CD-RW, 8 DVD-ROMs, 1 DVD-RAM/RW and 1 DVD?RW/RAM!

I 20:43:24 Operation Started!

I 20:43:24 Source File: C:\Downloads\CALIGULA_NTSC\NEW\CALIGULA.mds

I 20:43:24 Source File Sectors: 3,935,472 (MODE1/2048)

I 20:43:24 Source File Size: 8,059,846,656 bytes

I 20:43:24 Source File Volume Identifier: CALIGULA

I 20:43:24 Source File Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.1.0.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!

I 20:43:24 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn

I 20:43:24 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 20:43:24 Destination Device: [3:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B A106 (L:) (ATA)

I 20:43:24 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: CMC MAG-D04-00) (Speeds: 2.4x)

I 20:43:24 Destination Media Sectors: 3,935,616

I 20:43:24 Write Mode: DVD

I 20:43:24 Write Type: DAO

I 20:43:24 Write Speed: MAX

I 20:43:24 Link Size: Auto

I 20:43:24 Test Mode: No

I 20:43:24 BURN-Proof: Enabled

E 20:43:27 Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None Found! (VTS_02)

E 20:43:27 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:03

I 20:43:27 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

I 20:43:45 Operation Started!

I 20:43:45 Building Image Tree...

I 20:43:45 Checking Directory Depth...

I 20:43:45 Calculating Totals...

I 20:43:45 Preparing Image...

E 20:43:47 Unable to find any cells that could be used for the layer break!

E 20:43:47 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:01

Edited by X-Fe@R

Verbatim dvd+r DL are the ONLY dual layer discs that work properly.Those Phillips discs are CMC MAG which are the biggest garbage you can find. We dont support decrypter or the copying of DVD's or downloading copy protected movies for legal reasons. Ripping dvd's is what let to the closing of decrypter and legal troubles for Lightning UK. If you need help burning ISO's this is the place but all reference to copying DVD's is off limits

I'm sorry I mentionned DVD Decryptor. I mean, my problem isn't about decrypting but burning a content to a DVD+RL with ImgBurn. Don't take this as a ripping situation because it's not, it's about making an image/copy with ImgBurn and it does not seem successful. Do anyone know what I am doing wrong?

.Those Phillips discs are CMC MAG which are the biggest garbage you can find.

considering you downloaded your material your files are probably suspect but you really need to get Verbs to have a real shot at doing any dl stuff the ritek DL's are garbage also

Seems to me that your issue is before actually burning to this trashy media anyway.

Is this disk mastered correctly? Does no layer break dialogue come up? From your post, it sounds like it does. Can we see a screenshot of the Create Layer Break dialogue please?

See the guides section for how the build mode should work. Also, try building first to file, not device - particularly, with those CMCs. And make sure your media is set to DVD+R DL in the advanced section of build mode.

10012006144320pd2.png

Can you post also your IFO files please?

Regards

Your DL disc is registering as having an odd number of free sectors.

That 'free' number is VERY close to the actual size of the image and so there's hardly any room for padding and moving stuff around.

A Verbatim disc may register properly and could well be enough to make this all work.

The 'Media' tab mentioned above does not appear/apply when burning direct to disc so don't worry about it!

"Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None found! (VTS_02)

This image has not been mastered correctly for burning onto a double layer (OTP Track Path) disc.

None of the cells meet the "DVD-Video specification" criteria for a potential layer break position.

Do you want to continue"

I had similar problem today but I was more daring.

I did continue with the burn and as you can see in the attached file the burn was successful and the DVD plays flawlessly on both my set top players. :thumbup:

I don?t have a clue what is going on.

regards

ImgBurn.log

Thanks for all your reply so far. According to what you've said so far, it would be a DVD DL problem and not a program/source file issue. To be honest, I wish I had better media to make a real test but I've never went into DL because of their price. I didn't mind making me a backup and watch my backup compressed. Seeing the price drop at the store, I told myself, why not! I guess I did a bad choice.

About my profile, I use DVD+R DL so that shouldn't make any difference.

I'm wondering if I do like you conair and give it a try, though it says there aren't any place to put a layer break. What's odd is it will give me some choices of layer break if I build an ISO in imgBurn from my original files within the ISO output file but not with "device" selected.

So, at last, I would have to change of media to make it work?

Yeah see that goes exactly in line with what I just said.

If you build to an image file it uses predefined sizes for DVD+R DL media.

When you build direct to the drive it uses the size of the media in the drive.

So if your drive was picking up the correct (normal!) size of a DVD+R DL disc, it would work fine.

For blutach, here are some screenshot of the layer break when building in file mode:

layerbreakno3.jpg

Then, the file seems good having a layer break but when I burn it, there goes the infamous error message I originally got.

To Lightning UK:

I see, so this is really about the media I'm using. Ok, I guess my only change is to try to make a coaster. Then, whenever I see some verbatim on sale, I'll give those a try. It's still too expensive burning to DVD DL yet... I'm not sure but do you guys know any good place on the web for Canadian where you could get good deals for verbatim? I might order a few just to test out what you guys just said. ;)

Edited by X-Fe@R

I got that message a few times in build mode (stopping at 66%). I think it stops on 66% for a reason in the settings. Not at all sure why. Perhaps something to do with the "don't prompts"

Make sure your Build settings are set to default.

Will be back. I wouldn't try to burn it if you can't make an ISO.

Regards

For blutach, here are some screenshot of the layer break when building in file mode:

layerbreakno3.jpg

Then, the file seems good having a layer break but when I burn it, there goes the infamous error message I originally got.

To Lightning UK:

I see, so this is really about the media I'm using. Ok, I guess my only change is to try to make a coaster. Then, whenever I see some verbatim on sale, I'll give those a try. It's still too expensive burning to DVD DL yet... I'm not sure but do you guys know any good place on the web for Canadian where you could get good deals for verbatim? I might order a few just to test out what you guys just said. ;)

OK - found something in our testing.

1. Turn on program debug mode (F6) and then in build mode, try to build your ISO. Forget about building to device at this stage. Post the log (it will hang while trying various padding)

2. Turn off 32k gaps in the build settings. See if you can build an ISO now.

gl1.gif

Regards

lol blu you don't need to keep going with this, it's not physically possible with the media being identified as it currently is.

As you can see from the screenshot the lowest possible LB address is 1975888.

Multiply that by 2 and you get 3951776

Compare that to the available sectors on the media

I 20:43:24 Destination Media Sectors: 3,935,616

As you can see, it'll never fit!

• 1 month later...

I read this thread and searched for this error message, but it's not clear to me how to "fix" this error. I'm getting the Unable to find any cells that could be used for the layer break message when trying to build an ISO. The input is a VIDEO_TS folder and its contents, all created with dvdauthor and a single MPG2 source file (8,441,763,840 bytes) with no menus.

How do I go about splitting a cell or whatever is necessary to make this into a "valid" dual-layer ISO?

Like the original poster, I'd rather avoid making a dual-layer coaster if I can. Note that Nero was able to import my original MPG2 file and (ultimately) burn a DVD+R DL that plays fine on my two standalone DVD players ... in case that's relevant. Thanks much for any help.

WB

I believe you can use VobBlanker to split a cell.

I expect your DVD Video files almost fill a DL disc so applying padding etc to get the correct alignement might be hard.

Load your folder as normal and then before you click 'build', press F6.

As it tests for potential LB positions, it'll add some additional log entries.

look at them and you should be able to see roughly where it might be possible to split the cell and make a proper layer break.

You could also post the log and we'll take a look too.

Thanks guys. Here's the log. I think you're right about the file being so large as to not allow padding. I'm not sure I understand this output, exactly, though. Is it saying that if it splits between cell 11 and 12, then one of the layers will be too large to fit? If so, which layer is now "too large"; i.e., do I need to split cell 11 or cell 12? And, of course, where precisely should I split it?

Accroding to VobBlanker, 1:19:38.06 is the end of cell 11, and the total playing time of all cells combined is 2:42:17.20. Is it safe to assume I should split at the mid-point (time wise) of the (single) title? Or should I really be trying to find a "number of bytes" target, as opposed to a "time" target, and, if so, what's the appropriate bytes/LBA target? I downloaded and looked over VobBlanker's Cell Split window, and it seems to be presenting intra-cell coordinates in "playing time" not "bytes", so it's not obvious to me where to split.

Actually, now that I look again, VobBlanker does report LBAs/sectors, but that's just for the individual cell, not the overall title. According to this link, DVD-9 accomodates 2,084,960 sectors per layer, so, I suppose I should try to split accordingly. Is it safe to assume that all of the non-VOB files will be placed in Layer 0?

Any help on this would be appreciated, in particular, on the suggestion of a very simple freeware dvd authoring application that understands this business of layer breaks and takes care of all of this for me. :)

Cheers,

WB

I 08:54:53 ImgBurn Version 2.1.0.0 started!

I 08:54:53 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 08:54:53 Initialising SPTI...

I 08:54:53 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 08:54:53 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD?RW!

W 08:56:08 Program 'Debug Mode' has been Enabled!

I 08:56:49 Operation Started!

I 08:56:49 Building Image Tree...

I 08:56:53 Checking Directory Depth...

I 08:56:53 Calculating Totals...

I 08:56:53 Preparing Image...

D 08:56:53 GenerateFileLBA_DVDVideo - Start/End LBA Match - File: VTS_01_4.VOB

D 08:56:53 GenerateFileLBA_DVDVideo - Start (With Padding)/End LBA Match - File: VTS_01_4.VOB

D 08:56:53 Potential Layer Break Position! - LBA: 2010143 (VTS_01, PGC: 1, Cell: 12, Vob/Cell ID: 1/12, Time: 01:19:37, SPLIP Flag: Yes)

D 08:56:53 Useless Layer Break Position! - LBA: 2010143 (VTS_01, PGC: 1, Cell: 12, VIDEO_TS Padding: 102038) - Reason: Cell requires too much padding.

E 08:57:09 Unable to find any cells that could be used for the layer break!

E 08:57:09 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:20

Ok, that tells me Cell 12 is the closest match but requires too much padding in order to make L0 >= L1 (size wise). With the amount of padding required (102038 sectors), it will push it over the edge of the max size allowed on L0.

So you need another cell between cell 12 and cell 13.

Oh and no you can't split things just by looking at the time and going with the mid value.

Nor can you assume non VOB files will be on L0.

DVD Video files are ordered like this:

(VIDEO_TS set) IFO -> VOBs -> BUP, (VTS_01 set) IFO -> VOBs -> BUP, (VTS_02 Set) IFO -> VOBs -> BUP.... etc etc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.