Does Not Eject After Burn

MarQu1s

Hi everyone.

First off, I'd be remiss if I didn't thank the great LIGHTNING UK! for this superior burning app. It does exactly what it advertises, and does it well. You can't really ask for more than that!

My history with ImgBurn includes 150+ burns without a coaster. I use TY (YUDEN000-T02) exclusively, so that certainly helps. The problem I am having first happened maybe 50 or more burns ago, and hadn't happened since, so I just looked at it as a one time thing and forgot about it. That problem has resurfaced recently and affected 2 of the last 8 burns, so I feel it would be wise to seek out a solution.

Now to my problem, as described in the topic title.

The problem involves the end of the burn process, after it has written all the data (Time Elapsed has stopped ascending), before it has completed "Getting Booktype". At that point it refuses to go on and doesn't ever eject -- while the drive keeps spinning (waiting for who knows what). I realize that nothing is going to change, so I hit the red stop button and a prompt pops up saying (I think) "Are you sure you want to cancel". I then hit yes, but it doesn't seem to do anything because the drive is still spinning and still won't eject my finished burn. I click the stop button again and it tells me "We heard you the first time". Physically hitting the eject button on the drive doesn't work because the drive still hasn't "completed operating", so it is locked. Assured that the problem is not going to fix itself, I then click "close" on the burn window, but because the program is still busy, it won't exit. I open up Task Manager and attempt to end the process, but that doesn't work. I couldn't even restart because the OS had seemingly locked up. I was forced to do a "hard" reboot using the reset button on my tower. When it eventually returned to windows, I could finally eject the DVD.

After all that frustration ended, I was able to prove that the burn process did indeed finish. The ensuing Quality Scan was just like any other burn with this program: great. But the reason I made this thread was to avoid it from happening again, or atleast figure why it stops at the "Getting Booktype" stage. It's certainly makes me scratch my head because as I said, it only happened twice in the last eight burns. It would make more sense if it happened after every burn.

Well, I hope you could understand that short story I just wrote. Any help on this problem is much appreciated.

Edited by MarQu1s

Just a brief reply from me - I am sure a more technical one will follow tho :) My guess is that ImgBurn is waiting for your drive to do something, you said yourself the drive is happily spinning away.

Can you copy/paste the log from IB before you re-boot ? That might help, also is the firmware upto date for your drive ?

Finally, as a last resort can you not open the drive with the manual paper clip overide ?? :D There should be a small hole on the front of your drive, when stuck if you carefully unfold a paperclip and poke it in there the drive should reset :wink:

It would appear the drive is having trouble running the command that reads the current booktype setting from the media.

As LFC said, the program is waiting for a response and that's why you can't close it etc. ImgBurn is not really in control at this point. As soon as the command completes, be it successfully or with an error, ImgBurn will spring back into life.

As for the paperclip method, be sure the drive ain't spinning at the time. The cold reboot is perhaps the safest way. But clearly the drive hasn't finished doing its stuff.

Regards

MarQu1s,

The symptoms you describe (random, increasing in frequency lately, etc) sound like you may be running some other program either concurrently or before you run ImgBurn that is somehow effecting ImgBurn.

You could keep a log of what other apps are running either before or during ImgBurn, and deduce what the problem might be.

Or you could do like I do - always restart the computer before initializing an ImgBurn session.

Lots of Luck...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.