Stuck at "Searching for SCSI/ATAPI devices..."

harpsm

I have a new (refurb) Acer desktop and I haven't been able to burn any DVDs successfully, though it has been able to read CDs.  The first two times I tried to burn, the process started but then failed partway through.  One of those times, I got the I/O error.  Now it won't get past the "Initialising Device" message.  I ran the debug mode reg edit and here is my log (there was no disc on the drive when I started imgburn):

I 11:54:32 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 11:54:32 Microsoft Windows 8 Core x64 Edition (6.2, Build 9200)
I 11:54:32 Total Physical Memory: 4,079,740 KiB  -  Available: 1,930,144 KiB
W 11:54:32 I/O Interface 'Debug Mode' Enabled!
I 11:54:32 Initialising SPTI...
I 11:54:32 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 11:54:32 Initialising Device (\\?\scsi#cdrom&ven_hl-dt-st&prod_dvdram_ghb0n#4&d743aa&0&010000#{53f56308-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b})...

At this point, imgburn is completely hung and can only be closed by forcing close in Task Manager.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the message in the status bar when it's stuck (and with debug mode enabled) ?

Try booting into safe mode and see if it does the same thing.

Sorry it took me so long to reply.  When I rebooted into safe mode, my monitor no longer recognized any video signal from my computer (which seems to make the term "safe mode" a bit ironic), and it took some time to sort out that problem. 

Anyway, once I finally got into safe mode, I was able to burn a DVD .img file with no problem.  Regarding your first question, the log I posted in my OP shows everything in the log in debug mode, from program startup all the way until it gets hung up.  

The status bar messages are different to the log messages, that's why I asked what the message in the status bar was.

As it's fine in safe mode, it must be driver related and something else you've installed is causing the problem.

Have a look at the filter drivers feature in the tools menu and see if any are listed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.