With some BD-RE media, drive light stays flashing

dbminter

I've noticed something on some BD-RE SL and DL's when I insert them.  The drive light keeps flashing when they're in the drive.  Even though ImgBurn starts writing to the discs right away, it still makes me wonder.  This usually happens with BD-RE's that have just been erased.  I've seen this on both my LG and Pioneer drives and with Ritek BD-RE SL and TDK BD-RE DL.

Is this something I should be concerned about?  :unsure:

• 3 months later...

It seems to be limited to only BD-RE that have no contents.  i.e. they've just recently been formatted or quick erased.  I had a BD-RE that I had just fully formatted for writing that when I inserted it, the drive light stayed on.  After writing to the disc, I inserted it again and the light did not stay constantly on.  I don't know what would happen if I quick erased a BD-RE with contents written on it and inserted it to see what would happen.  I may do that if I can think to do it later.  :)

Well, I tested it out and it only happens whenever a BD-RE has no contents.

I took a BD-RE that had been fully formatted but not yet written to and inserted it.  The drive light stayed on.  I wrote a small image file to the disc.  I reinserted the disc and the light did not stay on.  I then Quick erased the BD-RE.  After reinserting it, the drive light stayed on.

So, this light staying on thing only happens when you have a disc with a blank TOC, it seems.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.