Error while burning BR: Logical Block Address

mallen

So far, I've had two BR burns fail exactly at 97% with the error (I'm quoting this from memory) SCSI: 0x02. Logical Block Address out of range. Imgburn did NOT save a log file, nor was I able to save a screencap due to the machine locking up. Up til now I have burned about 100 or so BRs, using Verbatim single-layers, supposedly one of the better product codes and are NOT LTH, which the burner apparently does not support. Burner is a Lite-On DH4B1S, firmware 7P5B. I have only had maybe one or two coasters before today and the only major problem has been the computer locking up after each burn, requiring a hard reset, which is apparently an issue with the burner because it happens with every system and OS I put it in. The burns themselves are ok. This new issue with the LBA errors did coincide with the installation of a new SATA hard disk, but the BR burner does not *appear* to have been affected. Other specs are Windows XP SP3, Intel DP55 mobo, 3Gb (2.2Gb available), no evidence of disk starvation or buffer underrun. Burns have always been done at 4x. I never attempt to overburn and the first failure today had 6mb left; the second 1.1Gb left on the disk.

Edited by mallen

Unless your drive is reporting a bogus error (and assuming you remembered it correctly), that would mean you're trying to burn more on the disc than actually fits. I do realise that doesn't fit with what you've said in your post. If the drive is causing nothing but problems, would it not be wise to get another one?

Unless your drive is reporting a bogus error (and assuming you remembered it correctly), that would mean you're trying to burn more on the disc than actually fits. I do realise that doesn't fit with what you've said in your post. If the drive is causing nothing but problems, would it not be wise to get another one?

Thanks, that's on my radar. I should say that I had two burns fail at 97% of the way through. I am most definitely not trying to overburn, unless Imgburn is misreporting the amount of the content I have to burn. As mentioned, the first burn had about 6mb of free space left on the disk as reported by the program; while I know that's not overburning, I know that cuts it close. So, I tried a second burn leaving about 1.1 gigabytes free - that's about 5% of disk space - and the failure still occurred.

The only other thing I can think of that could cause this error might be: I just installed a 3Tb drive into Windows XP. As you may know, 32-bit XP cannot natively handle a drive over 3Tb since XP-32 is not GPT-aware (although XP-64 is). I was able to install the 3Tb drive as a non-boot drive anyway, thanks to Seagate's DiscWizard. It appears to install some kind of driver that lets XP "see" an extra partition. As mentioned above, the blu-ray burn errors coincided with the installation of this new drive.

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update everyone, I moved the Blu-Ray burner to a new computer and it seems to work just fine now; my suspicions about Imgburn not being able to work with the driver for the new >2Tb hard disk drive was likely correct.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.