Fixing Windows Update errors

dbminter

I've discovered a nifty trick that has fixed every one of my Windows Update updates that fail to install.  So, I'm passing it along in case anyone else wants to try it if their Windows Update updates fail.

First, open an elevated administrator Command Prompt.  Google how to do this for instructions specific to your version of Windows.

In the Command Prompt, run sfc /scannow

Let the command run, which will take some time.  The command will most likely return the following message after it finished:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios."  Ignore these errors as you most likely can't fix them because they aren't really errors.

Try downloading the Windows Update update(s) that failed again.  Most likely, they will complete successfully now.

I've had 3 or 4 Windows Updates that failed to install before I ran SFC and tried again.  All of them ran successfully after running the System File Checker command.

Just had Windows Update fail on yesterday's released update of KB3046002 with error message 80070003.  In the past, I've had a Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool update that failed to install.  Windows Update entered an endless loop that always repeated itself on restart of Windows.  Windows would never start because of this loop.  Running SFC before installing that update fixed it, too.  I had at least one other problem, on KB2976536.  SFC fixed that, too. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.