adobe encore

palman

I have yet to try your software but was reommended to it via others.

I produced a img file in Encore however i need to produce copies quicker and so hence copy the img file to other computers.

I was told your software would do this.

my problem is the layer break.

i would like to read where it is on the img file.

i also would like to know how to convert the sectors into times. I have used the auto layer break on encore which proved to be not a good idea.

So i have now told it not to do it auto. But i would like to use IMGBURN to read the img and tell where the break now is and then ultimately burn the img file as is .

any help would be appreciated

thankyou

Tools -> ISO -> Display IFO Layer Break Information.

If that doesn't find one, you'll have to go back to the raw video_ts folder + files and use ImgBurn's 'Build' mode to make a decent new image.

is it possible / practical to have the layer 0 shorter than layer 1?

my problem is 52 mins of act one and 62 mins of act two

i am at teh moment just telling encore to cut the dvd with auto layer break off, lets hope it does it correctly this time, or i will have to try your suggestion of vobs. but that would depend on the layer rules. ie layer 1 bigger than layer 0

or do i have to make it backwards, so act 2 is on layer 0 and act 1 is on 1, not quite sure how i would do that though. it wouldn't be so bad is encore did its job and actually cut on a chapter point instead of mid dance routine

No it's not possible.

L0 must be bigger than (or equal to) L1.

Why do you need to split exactly at the end of an 'act' ? I guess it's because it looks nicer! Sometimes you have to compromise though I'm afraid :(

If the pgc has multiple cells, just use one that leaves L0 > L1.

If it doesn't, you'll need to put some in so that you can!

No it's not possible.

L0 must be bigger than (or equal to) L1.

Why do you need to split exactly at the end of an 'act' ? I guess it's because it looks nicer! Sometimes you have to compromise though I'm afraid :(

thank you for this quick answer.

I think i have managed to do with encore but have it not set break layer auto. I can see from looking at the burned DL disc its quite close to the end, so i'm guessing around 80mins.

However can i use the info given from imgburn ie its layer sizes in sectors to equate that into an actual time?

secondly, is it because its pressed? or as it is cleverly done, or just done differently that you dont see a retail movie jump as it changed layers?

secondly, is it because its pressed? or as it is cleverly done, or just done differently that you dont see a retail movie jump as it changed layers?

Sure you do, sometimes it's just the slightest hesitation, sometimes it's an actual freeze, sometimes it's seamless and you see nothing. Depends a lot on how it was mastered, what studio put it out and the quality of your playback machine.

As far as time, that will have to be answered by someone more technically inclined. ;)

Yeah, try a seamless layerbreak, sometime into act 2.

Use DVD Remake Pro to split cells at a pleasing point to you.

There is absolutely no correlation of sectors to time, since video is done on VBR and not constant Q and there are several audio and subpicture tracks muxed in.

Regards

Will ImgBurn's padding logic (assuming he re-authors the ISO with ImgBurn) also pad layer 0 so that he can split it where he likes, provided that he has enough room for the padded ISO?

If so, that might give him what he is looking for...

""

There is absolutely no correlation of sectors to time, since video is done on VBR and not constant Q and there are several audio and subpicture tracks muxed in. ""

i did record in CBR, i could have squeezed the 2hrs onto a dvdr with VBR.

basically if encore had done a good enough job, i wouldnt even be here. what really sux is you pay all that money and expect to have a job done, yet Lightning here seems to do a better job for free. ( donations accepted of course ) I'm sure theres some logic in there somewhere, even if its for lightning to sell his knowledget to Adobe.

My comment re time is so i can find the break point from the sectors, just to see how pleasing it is to the eye. under the compromise idea.

Edited by palman

Will ImgBurn's padding logic (assuming he re-authors the ISO with ImgBurn) also pad layer 0 so that he can split it where he likes, provided that he has enough room for the padded ISO?

If so, that might give him what he is looking for...

OK am i reading this right, padding is like adding dead space onto layer 0 to get it over 60mins?, this is like a dummy file? as what games use sometimes?

I am looking at the new ( not auto ) encore img image now, and also made up vobs ready for imgburn to creae a new iso if needed.

Its telling me, that its on a 60 / 40 split at vts4.ifo , so i looked at vob 4 and it seems that as i imported act 2 into the project (i unknowingly) made it the first vobs, so vob4 is actually act one.

so it seems i have, by fluke, accident call it what you will, found a solution to my problem.

This is my first adventure into DVD+R DL, i did take the knowledge in my gaming hat of using verbatum discs though.

thank you once again for all your assistance. The knowlede learned here today, i will find useful as i have another dvd to make this is 126mins long. Again the natural break would be about 40 mins into the recording so if i instead of by accident, actually import the 2nd half of the project first that will go into vobs1 + and thereby record onto layer 0.

I woudl however like to know a little more re this padding your talking about. As i can see a time where i would have one timeline and may need to pad out a less than natural break

My comment re time is so i can find the break point from the sectors, just to see how pleasing it is to the eye. under the compromise idea.

If you wish to see where you already have the layer break inserted in your Encore-authored image, use ImgBurn as LUK suggested to find the sector/LBA of the possible layer breaks.

Then open the image with ISOBuster and look at the LBA (logical block address) list for the VIDEO_TS files. Using the info that ImgBurn presented, and the LBA list (sort on the LBA column), you'll be able to see which specific file the layer break is in. If Encore did it's job correctly, there will likely only be one possible layer break position.

Mount the image as a virtual drive with a tool like Daemon-Tools.

From here you can open the .IFO file of the VTS (e.g., VTS_01) you believe the break is in using IFOEdit and under the VTS_C_ADT branch, you can find the starting and ending sectors of each cell within the VTS. These are relative sectors and do not correlate directly to those that you see in ISOBuster. Instead, you must subtract the LBA shown in ISOBuster for the VTS_01_1.VOB file from the sector/LBA that ImgBurn reported to you. This resulting number will match with the start sector information you find in the VTS_C_ADT branch of VTS_01_0.IFO file. Look for the cell with the start sector that matches the number you calculated. This is the first cell that will be on the second layer. Looking back in the VTS overview in IFOEdit, you can see what time that corresponds to, and you can even double click on a particular cell to see the content play. If it was authored correctly you should see a "Layer Br." indication in the row with the cell number you found. The time of the layer break is actually the cumulative title time of the cell above it.

Anyway, this is how I do it, and I learned it by reading on the ImgBurn board and asking questions. LUK personally helped me understand all this...

I woudl however like to know a little more re this padding your talking about. As i can see a time where i would have one timeline and may need to pad out a less than natural break

ImgBurn (or PGCEdit with mkisofs installed) can pad an image with essentially blank space, either to ensure there are a minimum of 32K of space between files, or to allow you to pick a specific cell in which to insert your layer break flag. In this way, you have more control to place the layer switch in a more pleasing place, e.g. at a scene change where the camera goes to black. I've re-authored a couple titles simply to make a better selection than was originally chosen for the layer break.

Though I don't use it to build my ISOs any more (use ImgBurn now), I still open up the VIDEO_TS files with PGCEdit first and see where it finds possible layer break points. ImgBurn gives the same options, however PGCEdit has a bit more info on the split point, how big the ISO will be, and even lets you preview the cells where you may want to put the layer break. After examining in PGCEdit, I then exit and make the ISO with ImgBurn.

Thinking about it, if you use build mode, it will attempt to add all the padding it can to all the cells in order to see if they'd be ok for a layer break cell.

So if act 2 already fits on L1 ok but act 1 is smaller (and hence L0 smaller), then it'll apply padding before act 1 so that it grows to the same size as act 2.

So you should really just need to find the first cell of act 2 (or maybe you've done it via chapter... I don't know that encore program) and select that.

The layer break dialog box shows you the current time offset within the PGC etc so you could probably guess it from that.

EDIT: lol that's pretty much what fordman just said in his first sentence!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.