CD ripping software that reads CD Text?

dbminter

Can anyone recommend a freeware application that can rip CD's to 320 kbps MP3's and read the CD-Text from the disc to the MP3 tags?

Don't recommend that Windows Media Player CD Text plug in.  :)  I tried that and it's too buggy.

Thanks!

I'll keep EAC in mind.

I gave CDEx a try.  What was weird was my test CD Text disc I made about 10 years ago was not recognized as having CD Text.  However, I created a new audio disc with ImgBurn with CD Text and CDEx detected the CD Text.

Also weird was it did not detect my Pioneer drive.  It detected my LG and all 3 of my VirtualClone drives but not my Pioneer.  So, I may have to try EAC for when I get rid of the LG drive and if CDEx does not detect my replacement drive.

At least CDEx detects CD Text.  However, can I stop if from adding the Artist field to the MP3 file names?  I only want the Track Number and the Track Name in my MP3 file names?  It doesn't seem I can.  If I can't stop it, I won't use it.  Why should I have to rename all my MP3's to remove a field I don't want when I should be able to keep the software from adding something the writer of the software wants me to have instead of leaving it up to me?

Are you talking about an option under 'Database' -> 'Get CD Information From' ?

Go into 'File' -> 'Drive Options' and tick the box on the 'Drive' tab to say your drive can read CD Text.

EAC is an advanced tool and needs a bit of configuring.

At least CDEx detects CD Text.  However, can I stop if from adding the Artist field to the MP3 file names?  I only want the Track Number and the Track Name in my MP3 file names?  It doesn't seem I can.  If I can't stop it, I won't use it.  Why should I have to rename all my MP3's to remove a field I don't want when I should be able to keep the software from adding something the writer of the software wants me to have instead of leaving it up to me?

You just need to edit the filenames in the edit window to remove the artist and leave only the trackname and set in the Settings for File name format to %3 %4 or %7 %4 before converting. Seems that in the new versions the program can't extract correctly the field needed.

%3 %4 will give: 1 Trackname

%7 %4 will give: 01 Trackname

Also you can use some separator if you want ( _ or - ) like:

%3_%4 will give: 1_Trackname

%7_%4 will give: 01_Trackname

or

%3 - %4will give: 1 - Trackname

%7 - %4 will give: 01 - Trackname

You just need to edit the filenames in the edit window to remove the artist and leave only the trackname and set in the Settings for File name format to %3 %4 or %7 %4 before converting. Seems that in the new versions the program can't extract correctly the field needed.

%3 %4 will give: 1 Trackname

%7 %4 will give: 01 Trackname

Also you can use some separator if you want ( _ or - ) like:

%3_%4 will give: 1_Trackname

%7_%4 will give: 01_Trackname

or

%3 - %4will give: 1 - Trackname

%7 - %4 will give: 01 - Trackname

I tried that.  Doesn't work.  Still appends the Artist Name to the file name.  In fact, in the help box that comes up, the text seems to say that Artist Name is not affected by editing those fields.

Tried out FreeRIP.  That seems to work.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.