Advice on copying audio CDs.

silverpigeon537

Hi I'm new here and admittedly not very technically savvy. I've bought some Verbatim 700mb 52x extra protection cd-r CDs and have an external fell USB dvdrw drive model: GX10N:LGE-DMGX10N(B). I think the Max drive speed for this drive for cd-r is 24x but can't be sure. Just wondered what experienced burners would recommend what speed I should burn at and any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

The first thing I would do is insert one of these Verbatim CD-R's into your drive and open ImgBurn in Write mode.  Then, in the pane of information on the right side, check for the DID/MID/Disc ID/Manufacturer ID.  If the string says CMC in it, you should probably not use those.  Verbatim CD-R, unless you get them online under the DataLife Plus brand, will most likely be CMC made, especially if you bought them in a brick and mortar store.  CMC is the worst optical disc manufacturer out there.  Most problems we see on this board generate from the use of cheap media, and CMC makes the cheapest.  If the field says MCC or Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, then that's good.  MCC is one of the best manufacturers out there.  And, yes, Verbatim sullies their good name by getting into bed with CMC!  :angry:  You could try to get some Taiyo Yuden CD-R while they still make them, but they'll stop manufacturing them at the start of next year.  TY is the 2nd choice when looking for quality CD media.

As for what speed you should set, I've never been concerned about that.  I'd only worry about it IF you encounter a problem.  Then you can try changing the speeds.  Of course, if you're absolutely worried, you can always set it to the lowest speed.  :)  It will take much longer but you've a higher guarantee of not encountering a problem.  And if you do have a problem, you know that changing the speed won't help.  It would be a problem down to your drive, either the drive itself or it doesn't like those CD-R you've put in it.

Well, it's better than 3rd.  :)  Depends on how picky your drive is.  And, there's always the fact that some drives just don't like certain media, no matter what you do.

I wouldn't be too worried.  After all, that site calls CMC a 2nd class manufacturer!  They are the WORST!  Vanguard and Princo on 3rd class list are true but they're on par with CMC.  And, at least with Vanguard and Princo, you can usually get a completed burn.  They'll be unreadable in a year, but they'll usually finish burning.  CMC often times just craps out, either in the writing or the Verify phases.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.