Help understanding 'seamless' layer break option

efc1978

Hi,
I'm wondering why the seamless option for layer break exists?, and why the default is not set for seamless?, as why would anybody want a pause at the layer break?, this leads me to believe that ticking seamless may cause some unwanted issues?
I have a layer break pause I don't want in any of the 4 options I have for a particular disc, if I tick seamless what kind of problems could this cause?

Edited by efc1978

Some older players won't play the DVD properly at the layer break without a pause.  The only reason you might want to not select seamless layer break is if you've tried it and an older player doesn't play the disc properly trying to switch at the layer break.

In my entire DVD collection, I only had 1 disc that was manufactured without a seamless layer break.  Doctor Who: The Five Doctors Special Edition R1 which was released in 2001.  It's also the only Who DVD I have that has a non seamless layer break.  It was also the first Who DVD released so it was probably given a non seamless layer break for older players since DVD's were only introduced about 5 years before, I believe.

Thanks, so I guess it's either going to completely stop playing at the layer break or be 100% fine?, and I shouldn't worry about there being any little problems at random places throughout the DVD, which was my main concern...

Sounds as though a Blu ray player should be modern enough to handle it!

I haven't tried burning this yet, and I guess I'll find out when I go to burn it, but do I still highlight one of the layer break options and then tick seamless?, or do I just tick seamless without even highlighting one of the options?

Thanks

Edited by efc1978

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.