DVD+R DL without .mds file

geohei

Hi.

I just received an .iso of a DVD+R double layer without .mds file. I'd like to burn this DVD+R.

Is it possible to burn the .iso without .mds?

Are there any drawbacks while writing without an .mds?

If yes, which ones?

Thanks,

Is it an image of a DVD video disc?

The program may find a nice layer break position in it anyway if it's been built correctly.

I believe there's a feature in the tools menu for displaying layerbreak info in an image isn't there? Try it and see what happens.

Failing that, mount the image in a virtual drive program and use build mode to make a new one from the virtual drive.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, it's a video DVD.

"Ez-Mode Picker ..." > "Create image file from disc" was used to create the .iso file.

Meanwhile I received the .mds file of subject .iso image. I used ...

"Tools" > "ISO" > "Display IFO Layer Break Information"

... to load the at a first place the .iso file, then the .mds file. The data shown is the window is identical!

Does this mean that I can safely disregard the .mds file of this video .iso image?

In other works ... buring the DVD from the .iso, is this DVD 100.00% identical to the burn from the .mds file?

If the answer to both questions above is "yes", why does ImgBurn generate an .mds file when creating an image?

Thanks,

Edited by geohei

If your image layer break position matched the mds one, yes, they'll be identical. It's just a number (lba).

But the .mds contains much more than just the LBA, right?

If yes, isn't the != LBA data inside the .mds not relevant for 1:1 restituation of the DVD from the .iso?

Edited by geohei

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.